Iso Of A Refrigerator

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Holly Bee, Apr 6, 2024.

1. Holly Bee

Holly Bee Newbie

What would you recommend that is currently available?

Thanks,
    Holly

2. Jenn

Jenn Ranger

What is ISO?

3. Holly Bee

Holly Bee Newbie

In Search Of

4. Jenn

Jenn Ranger

Thanks. A couple years ago at the grocery store I saw: BOGO and had to search out a clerk to decode that!

Fridge. I just got an Iceco GO20. I love it. I've had a domestic that originally came with the teardrop. I loved it but it finally got fussy about being driven around the country. The iceco go20 is smaller and lighter. It will meet my needs.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
    Kevin and Holly Bee like this.
  5. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I have a Dometic CFF35 -- same one CI sells. It works very nicely except the same as all of them it seems. My ARB has had the same problem...when the thermistor gets wet. The CFF35 fits directly in the galley, the ARB I have is HUGE and must travel in the car. BUt the compressors are nearly identical. Dometic is better weather protected.

The thermistor is a 10 minute fix after you do it once.

I think all of them use a remarkably similar compressor....the different is the size and shape of the refrigerator box. Personally -- even if Danfoss is just as problematic as the knockoffs, I prefer knowing that there is SOME recourse, unlike the generic cheap imports...

Kevin and Jenn like this.
  6. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Is the iceco go20 a drop in -- meaning it fits the existing space?

7. Jenn

Jenn Ranger

It's smaller than the space. I'm going to carry it in the car.

Kevin likes this.
  8. Vince G

Vince G Novice

We use this company. Fits perfect in the opening. When we purchased they had a sale.

12V Portable Fridge

Kevin likes this.
  9. Holly Bee

Holly Bee Newbie

How does the 35 quart work for the two of you?

Kevin likes this.
  10. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

We also have the Dometic CF35. It works fine for two of us. When we first got it I thought it was going to be too small, but the amount of space not taken up by ice really surprised me.
    If you go with the Dometic be sure to get a 'hockey stick' from CampInn, to help with eliminating the bit of slop in the footprint when in the galley space.

Kevin and dustinp like this.
  11. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Good synopsis of your Dometic use Kevin. If and when the Dometic bites the dust, the Bouge line looks like the best bang for the buck at this point, with options like the dual zones, etc. Probably the way I'd go if in need today. Setting the Dometic kick out voltage really depends on which battery technology you are using. Using lead acid, even using the high 12V cutout setting won't save your battery from some damage, but with LiFePo you might be safe. I wonder how a 12V power cord for the Dometic with dual input connectors would work?, with both an Anderson plug for hooking to the sogen, and cigar plug for the CI, with covers for the unused end.... just thinking.

Vince G and Kevin like this.
  12. Jenn

Jenn Ranger

This is the IceCo GO20 in the galley. I may carry this in the galley rather than the car and get a 'hockey stick' to keep it off the back wall. Not sure yet about the side table on top. Also, there is a cover for the fridge but wanted these pics without it just yet.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
    dustinp, Kevin and Van_and_Terri like this.
  13. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I camped next to some one today who had one, and she was really happy with it. Not sure she puts as much stress on it as we do, but if I ever can't fix mine I'd consider it. Dometics and Danfoss with their problems in the thermistor have kind of ... made me angry.

Kevin and Jenn like this.
  14. We replaced our Norcold in our previous Teardrop with a Bouge and have been very happy with it. Footprint close enough to be same. We have found it to be a more positive experience that during warm months (or locations) we travel with the fridge in our TV, happier fridge, happier campers.

Kevin, dustinp and Jenn like this.
  15. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Torrey how well does the Bouge fit the CI?
    Is there enough room around the exhaust area for circulation while driving down the road and plugged in, cooling?
    What max outside temp have you used it that way?

I notice the Dometic in galley storage gets very hot/cant cool as its just sucking in its own exhaust when galley hatch is closed,
    when ambient is greater that 90 degrees.

Not a big deal, as I just move it to the TV in temps like that, where there is more cabin volume, and put the AC on.

I have used the Dometic as a freezer making frozen YETI blocks to go in the Coleman for veggies, for extended boondocking so mine is at the edge of typical use.

When time comes the dual zone Bouge will be nice as its easier on the old guys back to slide it off the galley shelf onto the side table, vs wrassle it out of the TV onto table on each setup and takedown.

Thanks for the updates as you go. The Dometic has a long history in hot temps, being from the Aussie Outback iirc and over time more user feedback on the dual zone Bouge will be helpful too.

16. BobF

BobF Newbie

We have been using the Dometic from CI in freezer mode with a bunch of plastic spring water bottles (and a few frozen items) we rotate the frozen bottles into a conventional cooler, love never buying ice. We plug the freezer into the TV when going down the road, otherwise supplement with solar. Not perfect but kinda works.

Ken & Peggy, dustinp and Kevin like this.
  17. Kevin, we have the Bouge that is the same size as the norcold unit available from CI.

There are several factors to when we stow in the galley or in the TV: outside ambient, current trip duration it will be riding in galley, what are we cooling. 1st year thermodynamics quiz problem about an operational fridge in a sealed room, energy is being expended therefore heat is produced raising the temperature of the space.
    1) if the ambient temp is over 60F AND the current trip it would be riding in the galley exceeds 2 hours it will ride in the TV.
    2) winter camping we keep it in the galley and sometimes leave it unplugged so it is not generating heat, unless we need the heat to keep it from freezing the contents.
    3) if there is fresh meat in the fridge, it will be in the TV unless the it started frozen and it will be eaten first.
    4) if we are only doing an overnight or 2 then the fridge may not come with us at all.

we do not intentionally use our fridge as a freezer, we travel with dry and “pickled” goods, and the only dairy we will ever have is cheese. Our step 2’s travel at ambient and stick them in the fridge to chill before enjoying.

I will get a picture to show how the Bouge fits.

Kevin likes this.
  18. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

TY!
    PS: what is Step2? I recall Sweeney alluding to this as creating a challenge navigating the G6 triangular doors...adult beverage?

19. Holly Bee

Holly Bee Newbie

LOL, you must also watch Steve Wallis.

20. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Lol, I have watched that guy a bit but didnt catch the reference...
    Reddit - Dive into anything

I also freeze the 12oz water bottles like Torrey, to fill the available air space (fridges work less if packed full, iirc) and there's nothing like an ice cold drink or frosty adult beverage at the end of a hot high desert day...step2!

Last edited: May 6, 2024