Storage Interior Storage Cabinets

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by Cosmo, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Novice

I searched around for this in the forum search but could not locate anything with the key words I searched on.

What are the inside dimensions of the interior front and back storage cabinets length width and height on the 560. 550 wound be appreciated too! I won’t be having a TV.

This would help me figure out a lot about actual use for my situation. I currently use a tent with a vestibule and worked out a system for wet clothing from hiking and storage of clothing and gear that will be used in the tent overnight etc.

I don’t own a trailer yet but I have narrowed the choices down to 3 makers, and of course Camp-Inn ranks very high.

Thanks for your patience and help.
    Cosmo

2. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

I would suggest contacting Camp Inn for measurements.

3. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

Cosmo - if I remember, I will take some measurements. I have a 550

Cabinets are about as "deep" as a platic milk bottle is high/tall. Maybe another two inches. Real definitive, I know.

I would not put any wet clothes in my cabinets, however. I gues syou could put a plastic "tray" in there and then put wet clothes in that. (I wouldn't want leakage.)

-Al

4. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

Keeping in mind I'm no draftsperson; so these measurements are nowhere near precise; but hopefully this sorta kinda makes sense.

In my 550, no furnace, no TV, does have Air...
    For the Upper cabinets, the ones on each side of the Air Conditioner, at the rear it's about 9 1/4" tall; and there is a bit of a slope up; so at the front it's 10 1/2" tall--however, there's a piece for the latch at the front. 14.5" deep, and 17 3/4" width. Both measured about that. That is interior space; remember the door (the teardrop shaped door) isn't that, it's about 14.5" wide by 8 1/4" tall at it's maximum width/height; but in the pictures online you'll see the door has that teardrop shape, so it's square peg/round hole type stuff if you are trying to put a cube in there (squishy objects work better IMO in upper cabinet--clothes, spare blanket)

The cabinets directly under, for me, since I have no TV it goes the full width of the camper: 58 1/2" interior width. At the back it's 7 1/4" tall, 10 1/4" deep. That entire space isn't 100% available for volume, though, there's a plug for the A/C, and the drain for the A/C takes some square inches on the right upper; also if you are looking for something that might be "exactly" 10 1/4" deep as container size, there are some footers (don't know if that is the right name for them) at the bottom; which take about 3/4" at the back and front, so if you wanted something to sit flush on the bottom, max depth I think you'd want something 9 1/2" to sit perfectly there. Again, that's interior space, the doors are 19" wide by 6 3/4" tall. But those doors are pretty rectangular; so if you wanted to put some rigid object in there, that's the dimensions that would fit without doing interesting angles.

For the cabinets under the teardrop windows (the Pillow side :) ), that arcs quite a bit, for me with no furnace, width is 43 or 44" wide, depending upon if you count the footer or not; 12 1/4" deep (if you don't count those footer pieces), and 11 1/2" tall at the front. That 11 1/2" tall remember arcs back; it's quite short at the back (maybe 2" ? before it starts to curve forward up to the max 11 1/2" tall at the front. Again: that's interior space. The doors are 18" wide by 10 3/4" tall. Oh, and same caveat for the depth; there's those footer pieces, about 3/4"--so if you want something to "exactly" sit perfectly flush, I'd call it 11.5" deep.

Remember... I'm not crafty in any way. I can't promise if I was off by 1" ... or 1/4"... I tried to err on "well, that looks like 10 3/4"... but I'll write down 10 1/2" "... so hopefully whatever you are looking for with these measurements will fit.

Also remember you'll have the under-the-mattress storage for those "don't need it quite that often" stuff. For me the 550; the one that doesn't hold the tire is about 18.5" x 15" , 5" deep.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Novice

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide measurements. Gives me a good idea of how I can run the living space in the trailer, once I finally make a decision. I contacted 3 Teardrop makers. They were all equally helpful and each had helpful advice.

SUMMARY: Corrections welcome.
    No air conditioner no TV.
    Curved surfaces means slightly less area. All measurement are approximate and rounded. It’s a starting point . Corrections welcome.
    -----------------
    Camp-In 560 18.39 cubic feet of storage space (not including the bunk surfaces) (corrections welcome)
    -----------------
    Foot side - 5.39 cubic feet of duffel storage area.
    This appears to be open or enclosed space depending on preference. Appears to be a “width of trailer” shelf and may have a face and doors if you want them. Throw you bags here and get your stuff when you need it. Camp-Inn pointed out they tilt this shelf towards you and to help gravity help you access gear.

Foot side - cabinets – 6.65 cubic feet of storage space
    Enclosed cabinet space with doors below the above shelf– “width of trailer”.

Pillow side - two door interior cabinet below 6.65 cubic feet of storage space.
    This reaches into the front “tongue box”.

Bunk/Bench/Sofa surface area used as storage - For raw storage area – using the bench/bunk/sofa surface area adds 8.5 square feet or 17 square feet in bunk configuration (Lots more square feet if I had the elevation). Meaning I could shove more stuff there.
    ------------------
    Camp-In 550 10.1 square feet of storage space (corrections welcome)
    ----------------
    Foot side - 3.75 cubic feet cabinet space. I go the impression there is no duffel shelf on the 550. Is that correct?

Pillow side - The lower part of that cabinet is the outside storage compartments. No measurements provided for that area. I guestimate it to be about 6.56 cubic feet. (help correcting that number is welcome).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Oregon Trail’R. 9.3 Cubic feet of storage space (corrections welcome)

About 4.9 cubic feet of front cabinet storage
    Optional Tongue box 4.4 cubic feet of storage space.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Vistabule appreciated. My significant other visited their shop this Friday . I will have more details when she returns.
    ----------------------------------------------------

SOME DETAILS (correction s welcome)
    ------------------
    Camp-Inn 560 - Measurement details
    ------------------
    - Rear Duffel area on top of the storage cabinet accessed via 3 doors. 14.5” deep 11” high and 58.5” wide. For a total of 5.39 cubic feet of duffel storage area.
    -Front two door interior cabinet below it is 11" deep and 9" high 58.5" wide. For 6.65 cubic feet of storage space.

------------------
    Camp-Inn 550 - Measurement details
    -----------------
    - 12" deep,12" high and about 45" wide. For about 3.75 cubic feet. The lower part of that cabinet is the outside storage compartments. No measurements provided for that area.

------------------
    Oregon Trail’R - Measurement details
    ------------------
    - Cabinets inside the cabin are 9.75" deep, 21.75" wide each, and about 20" tall. I count 2 cabinets for a total of about 4.9 cubic feet of front cabinet storage
    - Order the tongue box option, and you get 10" deep, 42.25" wide, and about 18" tall which adds 4.4 cubic feet of storage space.

------------------
    Vistabule - Measurement details
    ------------------
    All the internal cabinet space is towards the rear n a bookcase configuration. More soon.
    Waiting for details, photos and video from the visit over Thanksgiving weekend.

6. skissinger

" I got the impression there is no duffel shelf on the 550. Is that correct?"

It depends on what options you choose. If you choose the air conditioner option, then usually you have cabinets on easier side of the air conditioner, (which is what I have). If you don't choose the air conditioner, then you can choose either a full width duffel shelf, or choose to have closed cabinets in that space.

7. PaigeJason

PaigeJason Novice

Our 550 is in production now. We opted for the duffel shelf with cabinets beneath.

8. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Cosmo, those are certainly some scientific measurements that you are taking there. I think you will find that there is enough storage space in most any teardrop for the stuff that you really need. However, what most often ends up it our compartments is stuff that we never use. There has never been a teardrop big enough to hold all the stuff that we don't use... That's part of the fun of camping - sorting between the two kinds of stuff. When you achieve perfection, let the rest of us know. :)

9. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

I think you'll like that configuration.

10. PaigeJason

PaigeJason Novice

Thanks! We literally plan to store duffel bags on the shelf, so it's tailor made for our needs.

11. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

The shelf actually tilts upward from the back to the front of the shelf/cabinet, not down (towards you).

Storage area above foot well

--The upper storage space here on a 550 with no AC is exactly the same as on a 560 with no AC. Same is true if you do get AC on either model.

--The lower storage space on a 550 with no TV is exactly the same as on a 560 with no TV. Same is true if you do get AC on either model.

:cool:

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Novice

Again Thanks so much for the information and corrections

I agree the shelf is versatile for storage plus it is great news the shelf is available on the 550 and 560 if desired.
    I am a lean camper but some trips we do a number of activities that require more gear. With the information I have much better idea which activities might be combined with the available space for snowshoes, snorkels, kayak, bicycling, bird watching, books lingerie and other essential gear!

2 trailer makers informed me their sinks are about the same size
    One is about 11.75" X 9.5" 5" deep.
    The other is about 11.5" x 9.5" x 6" deep

One helpful maker noted the water flow rate is about 1.1 gallons a min.
    Second helpful maker responded 11 gallons per min. Which I suspect was a mistype 1.1

If you own a trailer this not news of course. In my case I am still shopping.
    Not sure why I would not just use a wash tub and a plastic water container which I could put in the car in freezing weather. Advice and experiences is welcome.

Thanks
    Cosmo

13. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

I think the tiny sinks are more of a convenience for a quick hand wash or to brush teeth than to wash any amount of dishes. I will be taking along my dishpans and using them for washing and rinsing dishes. I don't have my trailer yet so I'll see when I get it. I only have about four months or so to wait.
    My daughter is going with me to pick up my trailer. They ranch in Montana so I hope calving season ends before April. Spring is a busy time for them.

14. skissinger

Sink... completely optional on a camp inn. And yes, in freezing weather you would want to winterize it with rv nontoxic antifreeze and not use it.

So if your camping style is that you are often in freezing temps, if I were you I'd skip the sink. That gives you additional galley counter space. If you've been tenting, you probably already have a water system worked out.

Fyi for gear storage, don't forget about the option for a roof rack on a camp inn (kayak) and a receiver hitch (bike rack).

15. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

The sink is a convenience that some can live without. However, it is VERY convenient. We still bring along a pair of small dishpans for the heavy lifting, but we have found the sink to be well worth the space it takes up.

Put a cutting board on top, and you've got counter space.

16. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

As one coming from tent camping to the teardrop, I would also point out how nice it is having the sink. Having 8 gallons of fresh water in that tank also frees up space in the tow vehicle.
    As far as how to carry kayaks -- I'd suggest you do that with your tow vehicle and not the trailer, just so you don't have to have your trailer with you whenever you want to use them :)

17. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

I love the sink and built in sprayer.

The 8 gallon water tanks contain anbient water. So all water needs to be heated for dishwashing.
    I use two collapasable tubs for dish washing. ONe holds soapy dishwater, second tub for rinsing.

I use the sink as a dirty dish collector, which fits my camping syle great.

Benefits of sink:
    built in 8 gallon water receptacle
    handy for hand washing
    built in gray water holding
    built in sprayer to rinse
    convience, convience, convience
    easiy to winterize

Jean

18. Cosmo

Cosmo Novice

I thought the thread vanished! But it was moved. I am still learning my way around the forum.

Again THANKS for the great useful information and practical experience!

Looks like an opportunity for someone to make a fitted cutting board that fits the sink.

I have not towed yet and was not considering how to adjust the trailer load to stabilize the ride. Thank You for more to think about. I a thinking deeply about the sink vs water jugs. The sink certainly has some sort of mind appeal - the jugs have practical simplicity appeal. The funky water taste and stopping things from growing in the water tank is another thing I did not think of. Great point. I have to clean my Brita Water filter on a regular basis because I find something slimy growing in their on a regular basis.

I have to ask and feel free to skip the answer. Does one become a full timer by choice, or circumstance?

Cosmo

19. Cosmo

Cosmo Novice

Thanks for sharing. I liked this site for small homes.
    I spend a long time on this site enjoying small homes and alternate livinghttp://faircompanies.com/

Cosmo

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  20. Dahava

Dahava Novice

Yes, Kirsten Dirksen's (of Fair Companies) YouTube channel is one of my favorites, too. I'm definitely a tiny and small house fan. Trying to convince my wife Vanessa but I think she's still looking for something between 500-1000 sf. I lived in >400sf when I lived in Japan and it was plenty. It's ALL about the design.