Insurance Hikes?

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by Trippster, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Trippster

Trippster Novice

Folks,
    I just applied for insurance quotes from the Good Sam Club and was surprised by the prices!
    We are not a high risk applicant, no accidents or anything.
    For 6 months, $1000 deductible on Comprehensive and $1000 deductible on collision. with full replacement cost covered and $3000 personal effects, it comes to $327.22 for six months.
    This seems high to me.
    What do you folks think?
    Thanks,
    Ken in Louisville

2. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

That seems high to me. I have my trailer insured with my cars (through the same company - USAA), and it adds about $130/year to my policy. I have heard others that have the same sort of rates through other companies too. I have $1000 deductible on both collision/comprehensive. What isn't covered by this policy is covered by my auto insurance. All of this would fully replace my trailer and contents, should someone walk away with it.

Not sure if that helps, but hope so!
    Sarah

3. Lh303

Lh303 Novice

Ken,

That seems very high to me. I have my 550Ultra insured through AARP (The Hartford) along with my cars, $250 deductable and it adds about $100 to my policy. When the trailer is parked in the garage it is covered through my homeowners insurance. When it tow mode or parked away from home it is covered by the auto policy.

4. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Like the others have mentioned, the additional cost to my auto insurance for the year is $236.52. I don't remember my deductible. I do know that it includes full replacement cost. Mine is a 560 Ultra.

5. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Our 550 Ultra adds $229/year to our rate - that's with a $250 deductible, which for some reason is less than the deductible for the cars. I put a call in to the agent to see if that can be raised, so thanks for posting ;)

6. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

We just got a Good Sam policy through GMAC, $250 deductible, for a year $316… it included a bogus Virginia "faulty equipment" ticket that drops off in December, otherwise it would have been $249.

I'd call them again and ask why you were quoted so much.

7. abccampinn

abccampinn Novice

Hi Ken,
    Our insurance cost for the camper being added to our policy through The Hartford(AARP) is $102.00, with a $ 250.00 deductible. Good Sam seems just a little high.
    Charlie