Installing A Tow Hitch

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by Jay & Valerie, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Just got done installing a tow hitch on Valerie's Acura. Pretty easy job. I am guessing it is not all that different for other cars so don't pay the dealer to install one, just DIY.

dustinp and Evan like this.
  2. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

You are right it's am easy job that everyone could do it. Most cars it's 6 bolts.

3. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

The wiring seems the more complex part of the equation. I think it might be beyond the abilities many of us. (It was for me and the 2012 Outback). For the new Subaru Ascent, I ordered the factory installed hitch. Going with a non OEM option would not be so great as the bumper has a removable panel for the factory hitch. I’m not sure an after market solution would fit.

4. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

I can't comment on the Subaru, but the wiring harness on the MDX was easy. Holes were predrilled, clips were already in the right place on the harness for attaching. It was super easy. Aftermarket would definitely suck. I could have wired it in, but it would not look as clean and would have dangled outside the vehicle. It did cost more but going with the OEM kit was worth the extra money. I am installing the transmission cooler in a couple of weeks and picked up the OEM version (not full kit) for similar reasons. All the mounting brackets are formed for a perfect fit and I don't have to fight with the install process.

Evan likes this.