Inexpensive Theft Deterrent

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dvoisinet1615, Nov 21, 2018.

1. dvoisinet1615

dvoisinet1615 Novice

Earlier this year my home built teardrop was stolen from my alley. I used the insurance check to upgrade to a CI 550. I am doing all I can to make sure it doesn't get stolen. Besides a hitch lock, wheel lock, tow chain lock and removal of a wheel I have added one more layer of defense.

With the leveling jacks extended I was trying to figure out how to lock them in place. I don't think a thief would want to tow the trailer with the leveling jacks down. It would create quite a racket. I looked for a nut to put on the back end of the threaded rod but the threads are really obscure. They are a left hand acme thread, not something you can find at the hardware store. So I came up with using a 1/2" conduit coupling with set screws. This locks the leveling jack so it can't be easily lowered. Since most thefts occur in the dark of night the thief would have a hard time finding this.

Here is a link to the coupling. Less than $2 for a 5 pack.
    RACO 1/2 in. EMT Set-Screw Coupling (5-Pack)-2022B5 - The Home Depot

upload_2018-11-21_13-24-2.png

Attached Files:

2. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

That's a good idea

3. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

Yep, I'm replying to another old thread.

for dvoisinet1615, or whoever knows,

what are the specifics on the left hand acme thread that is mentioned in the original post? Aside from being left hand threaded, does anyone have the size and thread pitch?

4. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

I think the best place to find the nut is from another jack. You can disassemble a jack to harvest the nut. I believe you can get a similar jack at Harbor Freight for $35, hopefully the thread is the same. 2.5 ton Leveling Scissor Jack

5. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

I'm not gonna crawl under there to attach it.
    Maybe my wife will....
    Nah.

Jerry Kemp likes this.