Indiana Dunes State Park - 1st time out this year

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by Ken & Peggy, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

We hadn't been to the Dunes SP since they re-did the campgrounds about 5 years ago, so we decided to see how they looked a couple weeks ago. Totally redone, all sites are electric, and all have concrete pads and fire rings. New bathroom/shower facilities are very nice, and clean. Miles of trails, from walking the dunes to boardwalks through the marsh to wooded ridgelines with views of Lake Michigan. We picked the right weekend, mid-70's to low 80's and no rain - slept with the doors open and the screens in. Every weekend since has been cold & raining, or, like right now, snowing. That's gotta change soon...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Northern Flicker:
    [​IMG]

Kestrel:
    [​IMG]

2. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Ken & Peggy great pictures thanks for showing them to us. :)

3. Ken & Peggy

Thanks Jenn. We have been going to the Dunes for a lot of years, starting when the kids were young. I agree, the best thing about it, to me, was that it was 45 minutes from home. Often a local hangout, and the facilities weren't the greatest. About 10 years ago Indiana re-did the National Lakeshore campground, which is about 5 miles from the State Park. According the the staff at the State Park, their campground got totally redone 5 years ago. It's now really very nice, with a great Nature Center and miles of trails.

Sleeping Bear Dunes is another great area - we've been there a few times over the years, most recently last August. We took the kayaks and did a couple of floats, which were a lot of fun. Campgrounds are in good shape with nice facilities, and a few small towns around to explore. We haven't been there in the Fall, but agree that it would be a good time to be there.

4. Ken & Peggy

A couple more shots from the Dunes...

Taken with the phone -

Prime Real Estate! (Actually in Michigan City, IN)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Re: A couple more shots from the Dunes...

not able to see latest pics posted

6. Ken & Peggy

Thanks George, here's a workaround

I posted these using the ftp site, and I guess it needs a user name and password.

It should be campinnowner and #4#thebest .

I'm not sure how to get around that.

7. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Re: Thanks George, here's a workaround

When you use the ftp site make sure the links you post start with "http" and not "ftp" - this way nobody needs a password to view the files.

8. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Ken and Peggy,

I love that real estate picture! Hollywood couldn't come up with anything that good. The coal cars at the end of the street really give it that extra touch. Yet, it looks like a nice neighborhood. Too funny.

Cary

9. Ken & Peggy

Thanks Evan!

Cary, I've driven past that spot countless times over the years, and finally just pulled over and took that shot. Kinda like The Simpson's ...