In The Market And Trying To Decide Which Unit

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by SnowGypsy, May 16, 2016.

1. SnowGypsy

SnowGypsy Newbie

I am looking at both teardrops and the mini-type trailers at this point. Having had 8 RVs, a few different types, have come to the conclusion that "less is more". We took the pop-up out for 3 days, it was an athletic event just packing, setting up and unpacking. Left early to get the canvas dry before the next impending rain. So ready to get more serious about making a choice!

2. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

You've come to the right place if you are looking for craftsmanship and quality!

3. birder526

birder526 Novice

Snow gypsy,

Our wonderful TD is for sale. It is posted in the "for sale" section. It is a 550 Special with lots of extras. Please check it out!

4. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Well, Snow gypsy, if you're looking for the best of the best in less-is-more camping, Camp Inn is it. Have taken ours from coast to coast multiple times and loved every minute. Quality all the way, green to the max, no off-gassing and easy, easy, easy.

You know, you can rent one and try it out...

Camp On,

Sue

PS: Diane and Michael's TD is a beaut!

5. We spent three weeks in our Camp Inn last summer and will going back out soon for another long trip in a few weeks. This weekend we were in a local campground to get away for the weekend and try out things to know if anything needed repairing or adjusting. We talked to a lot of pop up people who were jealous of how little we had to do to set up our 560 Ultra. Good luck with your decision.

6. birder526

birder526 Novice

Thanks Jim and Sue! She is a great teardrop!!

7. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Hey Snow Gypsy...for what it's worth, here is my take on this subject.

Both can be great solutions for the less is more view.

Teardrop Pros
    Small, lightweight, can be easily moved around by one person
    Can fit in garage easy for storage
    Minimal impact on gas mileage when towing
    Very cozy for sleeping
    Bed is already made so easy to climb in and rest (even stopping at rest stops for quick nap)
    Minimal set up required
    Galley is outside so no lingering cooking smells throughout trailer
    There are many, many others but this is a start.

Teardrop cons
    No bathroom/shower, need a potty tent or spot near bathroom
    No place to stand up to dress
    Galley is outside so sometimes you are cooking in inclimate weather

Tiny Trailer Pros
    Small, lightweight (though not as lite as a teardrop)
    Minimal impact on gas mileage when towing (again, not quite like a teardrop)
    Can stand up to dress
    Some might have a bathroom
    Often have table to sit and eat
    Kitchen inside so you can cook out of bad weather

Tiny Trailer Cons
    Kitchen is inside so odors from cooking can linger
    Not quite as easy to move around like a teardrop
    Often the table is also the bed so you need to make up you bed every time you want to use it.
    Little bit heavier with more drag from wind so might impact gas mileage more.

I think if I were doing extensively longer trips or full timing, I would move to a tiny trailer but it would need to have some unique features...like the bed. I would hate to have to convert from table/bed every time.

I have done as long as 3 weeks in my CampInn and never had an issue. I do have a side tent that gives me a place to stand and dress as well as midnight calls of nature. I just got a separate shower tent and looking at portable hot water showers to address that. Once I have those, I could do extended periods of camping without issue. Though, not sure I would do winter/snow camping in it.

Just some thoughts.

Regards,
    Jay

Mike_Kathi likes this.
  8. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

I'm with Jay on most points. But I can say that we've met a few folks with tiny campers. Most that are on the road a lot or are full timing have permanently converted that dinette to a bed, which sort of defeats the purpose of going that route - it wastes a lot of otherwise good storage space. As for those with toilets, most of the couples that we talk to only use it to pee at night - otherwise there are other lingering odor issues to deal with. Guys could get the same benefit in a teardrop with a hospital urinal (not so easy for the womenfolk, but there are some options).

The only small trailer that has intrigued me is the Safari Condo Alto, which is made in Canada. It's basically a teardrop that morphs into a tiny camper. It looks cool, but there's plenty of wasted space, and they sell for $36K and weigh about 1,800 lbs. Buy a Camp-Inn and put the money you save on the trailer and tow vehicle towards a hotel now and then, if need be.

The main thing to consider with a teardrop is what sorts of things you plan to do when you camp somewhere. You'll need a place to store outdoor furniture, whatever toys or hobbies you bring along, etc. That stuff is probably best put in your tow vehicle, so the choice of tow vehicle will make a big difference on how well everything functions for you. If you move often, you won't want to be digging through the bed of a pickup for the thing that happens to be most important to you at that moment. It helps to have some ability to customize your own storage solutions.

Mike_Kathi likes this.
  9. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

If you were in the market for a tiny trailer, the one that we consistently hear high praise for is Casita. They appear to have a loyal following like Camp-Inn and hold their resale value. But the smallest 13' unit weighs 1,880 lbs, so that eliminates a lot of vehicles as potential tow vehicles.