I Want To Visit California!

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Kevin Ensign, Sep 20, 2024 at 9:06 AM.

1. Kevin Ensign

Kevin Ensign Newbie

Home base is Central Illinois so looking for as much experience and suggestions as possible. This trip will most likely not happen until 2026 so have time. I doubt I will get more than 2 weeks off but going to have that discussion and pray for 3. I don't think 2 weeks is long enough and just too much to take in. I definitely want to see the giant red woods and it would be great to take in some beach time. Just trying to get a feel where to start as from North to South I just do not know where to begin but assuming the north is the place.
    thanks,
    Kevin

2. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Let’s see, Chicago to LA, that’s Route 66! It’s well worth taking.

Sweeney, Kevin and dustinp like this.
  3. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

4. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Like Kevin said...route 66. Definately a bucket item for me.

From our area, no way you could do that in two weeks and go slow enough to see anything other than a windshield. I planned it this spring, it just didn't happen and 3 weeks is minimum, especially if you want to perhaps wander around a little bit in the southwest. While not on '66' I'd probably want to visit Roswell.

WHen I worked for a global company, we had people from Europe come for a two to three week stay periodically. We'd just send them to St. Lous, Chicago...heck even Louisville. They were FLOORED by how big this place is, and how far it is between cities. Thats the way i feel when I get just west of Bloomington Il :) ITS BIG

Kevin likes this.
  5. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

The Redwoods are 700 miles north of LA. Route 66 is a totally different trip and not the way to get to the redwoods, especially if you are short on time.

If you do go to the redwoods, I would recommend getting there sometime between mid May and mid June. That is when the rhododendrons bloom amongst the redwoods. A spectacular time to visit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

John makes a good point. If I were going to the redwoods plus beach from Chi-town and back I'd take the interstate on the most direct route calculated by my iphone Apple maps.

Seriously, there is no way to see enough of CA in two months, much less two weeks. There are a couple of redwoods parks closer to Big Sur and you could get some scenic beach time in too.

My advice, pick one or two general areas and give yourself time to travel easy, to and from, and plan to see those areas and see a couple things along the way and the time to just sit back and enjoy it- to spend days of un-structured time in those places and a half day in a couple others.

There's gonna be a day or two because of weather, a flat tire, traffic etc you'll want to have that extra, or just take a meritorious day off from driving too. If you are in the northern route thru high plains there are two seasons: winter and "construction ahead"

Yosemite/Kings Canyon/Sequoias, or Yellowstone/Tetons for that matter are places that make me think God packed in so much beauty in one place that you could not deny the existence of a higher power.

Get your reservations for the really popular places a year ahead.

Then you have time, barely, in two weeks.
    I most highly recommend three.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2024 at 1:45 PM
    dustinp likes this.
  7. Carl U

Carl U Junior Ranger

We are in the midst of our California trip now, left Wisconsin on Labor Day. Our destination was Palm Desert and the tip of Nevada between California and Arizona to visit friends and family. We took a route that followed the Oregon Trail to Casper WY then south out of Salt Lake on Mt Nebo Loop road, through Cedar Breaks north of Zion and to Zion. We stayed in Idyllwild CA cooler in the mountains and traveled down to the valley floor, 25 degrees cooler up in the mountains. For our dog we visited Del Mar dog beach.
    From there we visited friends in Nevada then onto the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Currently we are in Page Arizona visited Horse Shoe Bend and Upper Antelope Canyon. Tomorrow is Kodachrome Utah state park for Bryce Canyon. Then to Arches NP and Moab. Some National Forest Campgrounds are starting to close so not sure where our stop in Colorado will be. We are spending five weeks and it’s not enough time.

Kevin, Ken & Peggy and Van_and_Terri like this.
  8. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Take a ride through Canyonlands if you can, it's not far from Arches and has a beauty all it's own.

9. Carl U

Carl U Junior Ranger

lot Can anyone slow down time? We would have loved to take the drive through canyonlands if time permitted. Here is our drive out of Moab along the Colorado River.

Attached Files:

10. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Driving north on the Pacific Coast Highway to Monterey and beyond is certainly an iconic trip. JohnC will have some camping recommendations among the Redwoods. I particularly loved Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park campground right in the Redwoods with beautiful planked hiking trails to a waterfall within the park. Beautiful camp store and restaurant also. No solar, the Redwoods canopy is so thick there is little to no sun! So much to see along the way on the 101.