I’m Terrified of Spiders!

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by janismurray, Jan 16, 2021.

1. janismurray

janismurray Newbie

There aren’t many wild spiders around my area but there is definitely one outside my tent and I have food in here. Am I gonna die? I don’t know what to do I just know that spiders can be very hungry holy cow one just touched my tent I think she knows I have food

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2021
  2. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

You wouldn't have to worry if you'd bought a Camp-Inn instead of a tent.........good luck;)

3. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

Oh no, she spider. You’re in big trouble.

PrairieVikings likes this.
  4. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

Spiders will chew right through a tent, or even stainless steel/aluminum. A Camp-Inn is no protection.

LisaNKevin likes this.
  5. rmbrowder

rmbrowder Junior Ranger

One of my favorite things to do with new campers is to shine a flash light on the forest floor at night. The little sparkles you see are “spider eyes”. It usually desensitizes them to spiders once they realize they are every where. (yard, park, house) I do not like bugs in my sleeping place so I zip up tight. Great reason to have a Campinn.

6. M&L

M&L Ranger

My wife and I were camping in the redwoods last weekend, and I happened to bring my ultraviolet flashlight to go looking for critters at night. We found this guy...he was really bright. I took the picture with my cell phone while shining the UV light on him. Found a couple of others about 10 feet away from this one. I turned the regular flashlight on, and he had the typical reddish-brown centipede color and blended in with the ground really well...I most likely wouldn't have noticed him in the visible light spectrum.

I remember reading about kestrels (a type of falcon) that can see in ultraviolet...they use it to follow the urine track of rodents (for food). Makes me wonder what other things can see in ultraviolet that might eat these centipedes.

Attached Files: