How to Winterize?

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by Cal429, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Cal429

Cal429 Novice

OK, I was all ready to take my 560 from California/Albuquerque to the family home in New England in November/December when it occurred to me in the middle of the night to worry: "What happens when it sits out unattended for days or weeks parked in the yard there (as mine would) and freezes? Hey, I'm a moderate-weather guy. What do I know about these things?

Even as a Californian I know that if no precautions are taken, the answer is extensive damage from frozen pipes and tanks.

But I keep reading here about your experiences winter camping, and seeing your photos of Camp-Inns in the snow as proof, so I know it's possible to do it safely.

Help me out here. Obviously, one would have to drain the fresh and graywater tanks, but what about clearing the water from the lines? And what other preparations does one have to take to leave a Camp-Inn out in freezing weather for a month? It would help to be as explicit and detailed as possible, 'cuz I'll need good guidance from those of you with experience.

2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Jim,
    There is anti-freeze available for RV/Marine water systems that you can buy by the gallon. I first empty the fresh and gray water tanks completely, then add enough anti-freeze into the fresh water tank to get it pumped through the faucet, letting it drain through the sink into the gray water tank. I then put more anti-freeze directly down the sink drain to be sure the P trap below has been flushed fully.
    When you want to prepare the trailer for use in the Spring, I fill the fresh water tank with water, and then open the fresh water drain and drain it completely. I then re-fill the fresh water tank and run it all through the faucet and let it drain through the gray water tank, and do that twice to be sure to get rid of the taste of anti-freeze.
    It'll be interesting to see how others do this...

3. abccampinn

abccampinn Novice

Jim,
    I do the same process as Ken. I don't winter camp because the road crews put salt on the roads here in Maine. Salt leaves little white spots on the aluminum skin of the camper and will rust the frame. It is always a sad day when we have to put the camper away for the winter.
    Charlie

4. Cal429

Cal429 Novice

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear! I had planned (and still probably do plan) to use the trailer myself for three weeks in October/November, and then my daughter and her family use it again for three more weeks in December, in New England. Part of the time in the Newport, Rhode Island, area, and part in New Hampshire (Lebanon). You are the expert in that neck of the woods, Charlie, and now you have me worred about my beautiful new trailer's finish!

And Ken, your winterizing method makes perfect sense. I wasn't aware that there is a non-toxic potable water system antifreeze out there, so now I'll adopt your suggestion. Makes perfect sense, now that you tell me that. Ken, do you recall roughly how much antifreeze it takes to bring the freshwater tank up to a level that the pump will pick up? Probably not more than one or two gallons, because otherwise the pump would never be able to use the bulk of the eight-gallon Camp-Inn freshwater tank capacity. On second thought, the logical thing for me to do would be to empty the freshwater tank, add a gallon of fresh water, try running the pump to see if it's picked up, and then keep adding a bit at a time until it is picked up. Then I'd know what the minimum amount of antifreeze should be. That sound right?

5. abccampinn

abccampinn Novice

Jim,
    October/November should be fine in New England to camp. December will be ok as long as there hasn't been any snow. If you do use it in New England and it has snowed, wait till the roads are dry to go anywhere with the camper. The wet roads are the problem when they have been salted. I suspect that Rhode Island won't be a problem in December as far as salt on the roads goes. I hope that Craig and Betsy will chime in on this subject as well, because they have family in New Hampshire and hopefully will have some tips for going there in cold weather. We have also found that it is hard to find an open campground after Columbus day in Maine and New Hampshire. We usually put the camper away on Thanksgiving weekend.
    You should only need a half gallon of RV antifreeze to winterize your camper, but we use a gallon. In the spring I drain the antifreeze back into the same bottle and use it again the next year.
    Charlie

6. Steve & Ellen

Steve & Ellen Novice

After I winterize the water system, I still camp. We just do it sans water in the camper. Sometimes on warm trips I start up the water system with a good flush and add the antifreeze when we get back. It seems neither time consuming nor laborious.

Steve

7. Ken & Peggy

Jim, I don't remember how much is needed, but it is much less than a gallon, since I've still got about 1/2 gallon left from last year. I'd try putting about 1 1/2 quarts into the fresh water tank and see if that gets picked up by the pump, and then just add a little at a time if it doesn't. As you said, I'm sure those CampInn guys designed the thing to use as much of the 8 gallon capacity as possible. Maybe Cary will chime in here on amounts needed in his experience.

8. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

1/2 gallon.

9. Ken & Peggy

Thanks Cary

10. Cal429

Cal429 Novice

Thanks, everybody. I think that answers my original question and a couple more I didn't ask but needed to know. I found the water system antifreeze this morning at West Marine in Sausalito, near my home. Cheap: Under $5 a gallon. They also do mail order (www.westmarine.com). Some I found on the Internet is far, far more than that. (Yes, it says it's non-toxic and for potable water systems).

I don't plan to camp on either of these New England visits. Instead, I'll park the Camp-Inn in the family home in Rhode Island and my friend's driveway in Lebanon, NH while I'm there in October/November. Then I'll fly home and leave my Camp-Inn and tow vehicle there until my daughter flys in from Albuquerque with her family in mid-December. She'll bring the trailer and tow vehicle back to Albuquerque. Should work fine; we each get to use it for the cross-country trips and some lighter East Coast side trips, and each only has to make a one-way trek with it.

11. No writings here. Bear did you fall asleep or was the question as posted in the title...How to winterize? You spent a big winter at the Scout Camp...did you not winterize then?

12. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Bear is no longer a member of this forum.

Jean

13. Yah, that's what I am hearing...hope he is doing alright...

tina

14. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Welcome back Bear!

15. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I have to say Mr. Bear, I find it a bit ironic that your title under you name says 'newbie' with all of that experience under your belt! Look forward to hearing more of your tales and stories. I always enjoyed them.

16. Nice to have you back Bear! It is snowing again here this morning as I recall you like winter and the snow. Stay warm & safe in your journies.