Hot Water Bottle Rubber

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by mariusz, Jan 4, 2019.

1. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

Recently I was out of heat at my house ,I purchased hot water rubber bottles to get some heat at night. Let me tell you- these things work amazing. I put hot water in them and place it under the blanket and they would hold a heat for a very long time. I will definitely add it to my camping necessities.

Attached Files:

Ben and Jenn like this.
  2. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

On my last trip I had 2 of these - one for my feet and one closer to my core. Using our double sleeping bag and a down blanket (rumple) along with my golden retriever I was able to keep warm down to the low teens without any other heat in the teardrop. I also use a fleece lined stuff sack to put the water bottles in. This slows the heat transfer so that it will still be warm in the morning and doesn't get hot enough to scald you overnight.

One problem I had with that trip was my water supply froze up (used jerry cans and don't have sink/tanks). I think with the next really cold camping trip I will heat my one gallon drinking water (for my morning coffee) up to near boiling and wrap my jacket around it prior to going to bed with the idea of slow heat release overnight along with keeping it from freezing up. I will add that the water takes on an off taste after a night in the water bottle (mine are silicone) and I wouldn't use it for cooking or drinking at that point.

3. Ben

I'll also add (learned this the hard way!) that you really ought to use waterproof and heat proof gloves when filling your water bottle. Sometimes the bottle will "burp" when filling. After the first time I burnt myself, I started using these regularly and have saved myself from a half dozen or so mishaps: https://www.amazon.com/Topulors-Gri...=1-26&keywords=silicone+gloves+heat+resistant

The water bottles actually get much more use at home than camping. They're great on a cold night at keeping the feet warm. Right now I'm resting my feet on the bottle that I heated up about 12 hours ago - still nice and warm.

4. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

Yep, really like it an ny kids wants me to get it for them as well, just be careful you could get burn if filled with boiling hot water

5. Ben

Yes - that's another reason to wrap it up. The fleece lined nylon stuff sacks that I got for mine are no longer available on amazon but they do make little sweaters for these that will keep you from scalding your skin and will allow the heat transfer to go much longer.

6. sarmay

sarmay Junior Ranger

mariusz and Jenn like this.
  7. Ben

I used these too on my last trip where it got down to around 10 degrees - one in each sock before going to bed. I think they may work well also taped to the propane tank to warm it up when it starts freezing from the cold.

Jenn likes this.
  8. sarmay

sarmay Junior Ranger

I never even thought about trying that!

9. Snudley

Snudley Novice