Hopeful Tearjerker

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by JoeB-NW, Aug 27, 2013.

1. JoeB-NW

JoeB-NW Novice

Hello All,

I wanted to introduce myself. I have been researching CIs and Teardrops for sometime now, even toyed with the idea of building my own. After careful deliberation I have come to the conclusion that the CI is one of, if not the best options out there. Still looking at the So-Cal as well. I am convinced that a tear will be perfect for my wife and I, along with our two 4 legged furry children. My wife however is not yet convinced. For her it will take nothing shy of the hands-on-in-your-face experience. I would like to order one soon so that it is ready for next year, and time is wasting. We live in north west Washington (about 90 miles north of Seattle), if there is someone in the area that would be willing to show off their rig we would love to meet them and hear about their experience. We are looking at a 560, but for show-and-tell purposes a 550 would do just fine.

I look forward to hearing more from you all about your experiences and adventures.

2. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

THere are a number of CI teardrops in the area, thinking of Evan and Frank Poole. Also contact Camp Inn directly, they can refer you to additional owners.

Welcome to the forum.

Jean

3. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Heyya Joe,
    Welcome... I'd check with Cary at the Camp Inn as he has a list of people willing to share/show them off and a 560 I believe...
    Drop him an email at the Camp Inn website, he'll get back a lot faster than trying to wait for a reply here...

Good luck and hope to see you on the road... I like the B'ham area... a lot of nice sites up there..

Hope that helps..

4. rushthecat

rushthecat Novice

JoeB, check out my wife's forum reports about our trip to Alaska. Tentative name for her book is "4 months without my bathroom!". It's in the Gathering Forum under 2013 Alaska or Bust.
    Show your wive it's possible!
    Mike

5. Jean W

Love that line!

6. rushthecat

rushthecat Novice

Hi Jean, we blew into Autumn Woods last night. Carol has an afternoon appointment. Can you do lunch?
    Mike

7. dhutchin

dhutchin Novice

JoeB,

I am maybe about the newest CI owner, so let me give you my newbie perspective. First off, CI is the way to go. I did so much research that my wife final said, Just buy the D____ thing already."

The 550 is perfect for two. Two people. Two of most anything. I've had some great naps in there with my German Shepherd. We did our shakedown cruise this weekend up in our upper hay meadow. It was beautiful. The first starry night in the NC mountains for months. My wife and I and the shepherd turned in. Between breaking the two things rule and the sheer volume of bedding the wife thought was necessary, we had a rough go at first. We had 4 bed pillows, assorted throw pillows (including a really cool teardrop pillow my wife made for me), 2 sleeping bags, a few blankets and sheets. It dropped into the mid 40s. We got up and dumped all the bedding except for two pillows, the sheets and a light blanket. It was perfect. Oh yeah, when I got up as usual at about 4 am for necessities, the dog jumped out and took one look at the teardrop and bolted for the house. She wanted no part of any more threesome nonsense. I had to get dressed and hike back to the house to let her in.

Bottom line: if you have a big dog, get a 560, at least. Or dump the wife.

8. Jean W

The statement can also be altered to read, or dump the husband, ha, ha.

9. JoeB-NW

JoeB-NW Novice

That was my thought as well, great to hear a confirmation from an owner with some experience. One of the dogs ALWAYS sleeps on the bed with us. The other is on the floor, so he will likely adopt the couch in the 560.

I have been talking with Stephan and Shirley about seeing their 560, it sounds as though we have picked a date for the showing. I am waiting with great anticipation.

One more question for all of you, has anyone had any problems with insuring their TD?

10. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

We have a 550, and our dog (60-65#) used to sleep in the side tent. That worked for us. It definitely would have been too crowded with him inside.

11. JoeB-NW

JoeB-NW Novice

Mike,

Actually I read her ENTIRE post from start to finish the day before you sent this message. We too have been wanting to do an Alaska trip. Beileive it or not your post/trip was the start of a two day conversation between my wife and I about the TD. We have now ditched the plan for an Alaska cruise and are planning a trip to Alaska via the ALCAN highway, that is of course with a CI that we don't even own yet. Our trip is roughly planned for the summer of 2015.

We have recieved a lot of inspiration from people on this forum. Thank you all already, and this relationship is only just beggining.

Joe B.

12. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

JoeB it's time to remove hopeful and become a Camp Inn owner. There is no problem with getting insurance.

13. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Insure it just like any other RV.

14. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Heheh, funny... but sometimes the Simple Truth is the best...
    like a Forest and the trees.. or "Committees", time to "Act".. heheh, it's all fun..

and the resell value is always there with plenty of buyers. don't believe they stay on the market for much longer than a week or two.. then "Pffffftttt..." gone to a New Happy Camper..

fun..

15. fdkoh99

fdkoh99 Junior Ranger

Hi Joe,

Linda and I are heading your way for the Labor Day weekend - we have reservations at a camp ground near Nehamlem on the North Cascades Highway.

Send me a private message if you want to meet up over the weekend - you can visit while we are camping or maybe we stop and visit on the way back. Either way - you are talking about the right teardrop and the right community.. great people ... great product.

Dave K

16. 1Door

1Door Novice

The Camp Inn product is the best of it's kind. We looked at ALL kinds and styles of campers before we (I) placed the order for our 500 Special...sight unseen!!! I concur that it is a "honeymoon" type trailer...2 persons...a TEACUP YORKIE that you can put in a cabinet (!), and 3 pillows!!! I still liken it to an overnight bag versus a suitcase. It is easy to wash, dry, and dust with a swiffer. Vacuum too! I'm so happy we have it as it suits our traveling style perfectly!!
    Can't wait til you get yours!!!!

17. dhutchin

dhutchin Novice

JoeB,

I went through Progressive (not an endorsement necessarily). I was able to accomplish everything online with no human conversations. I tried a few other companies but they all ended up with me needing to call to get a quote.

My policy was for a new 550 Ultra ($20,509.00). It has Comprehensive with a $500 deductible with Total loss replacement. Also collision with the same limits. It includes coverage in Mexico, $1000 for fire department service, $750 for emergency expense, $10,000 for vacation liability. That was $187 for a whole year. I added $5000 for replacement of personal effects (I sometimes carry musical instruments) for $42. A grand total of $229 for a year prepaid. Just a "tear"drop in the bucket.

18. JoeB-NW

JoeB-NW Novice

WOW, no idea it would be that affordable. You can mark that concern as "alleviated".

19. 1Door

1Door Novice

I forgot to address that concern!!! We are with USAA and we have complete coverage on our 500 Special for $8.oo a month! It was just added on to our vehicle insurance policy.
    And did I mention...we purchased our 500 Special SIGHT UNSEEN ????

20. JoeB-NW

JoeB-NW Novice

You did, and I must say all of you that did are more brave than me. I still have a very hard time ordering anything on the internet with out going hands on first, perhaps that makes me a little skeptical.

That being said, after reading a fair portion of the thousands of posts on this forum, and not finding a negative one yet mind you, I am begining to think that my need to see one in person is now a meer technicallity to satisfy my skeptisism.

Joe B