Home away from home

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Seekir, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Seekir

Seekir Newbie

[​IMG]
    Our 560 with attachable tent

2. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

It appears to be a Pah Ah Que with a rain fly. We have a 10 x 10 one. Very much like a Northern Breezeway, but the supporting poles run through sleeves instead of being external. They make a 12 x 12 one also and have an optional floor for those who would like it. With the rain fly they run about 100 dollars more than the Northern Breezeway. We found the best price for one at Campmor. We take it when the insects are roaming about, and another nice feature is the solid side panels protect your stuff when it's raining.

3. GinaNBob

GinaNBob Novice

We have recently bought a northern breeze. Haven't gotten our CI yet, not until next March. This may seem like a silly question but why doesn't anyone use the NB in warm weather? I understand that it can be hot. But why don't you just roll up the zippered sides and let the breeze come thru? Most people are posting that they use one side wall on their alcove for privacy anyway. Seems easier to have just one shelter rather than two or three.
    Sorry if this is a silly question.
    Gina

4. Seekir

Seekir Newbie

We are taking it out again next weekend. I'll take pictures for you then when we have it set up again. This tent is the 10x10 side room tent offered by TearDropShop.com. It is a Paha Que tent/screen room that has a cutout for the teardrop door. We had to buy the black gutter and put it around our door. I like the look of the gutter when the tent is not attached. I'll post pictures of that too.

Best thing about this setup is bad weather! You can transition between the teardrop and the side tent without having to get wet. Sometimes one of us will lay down in the teardrop to read a book while the other is in the side tent. Makes it nice to still be near each other. Another plus: is no break between teardrop and tent so bugs don't get in. We currently reside on the East Coast = lots of Mosquitos.

The one downside...the gutter barely fits between the door and wheel-well. This means when we attach the tunnel we have to stuff it in there a bit. I will take a picture of that too. No leaks from the tunnel. This was initially meant for Little Guy trailers. But it works very well with ours too.

How does the tent handle in bad weather? We were amazed. Camped at the Sand Dunes in CO when the arctic weather occurred back in July. Didn't think it was going to be bad so we kept the tent up. Let's just say that come morning our tent survived without any damage. Others in the campsite were not so lucky. All we did was put some heavy bags in the 4 corners and opened 2 sides of the tent for wind to get through. It was lifting off the ground and snapping to and fro...zero damage to it or our trailer.

5. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

The Northern Breeze is a 3 season tent, great for Winter, Spring, and Fall. I do not use in the summer, it holds in the summer heat, especially if in the sunshine. It is very hot in the summer even with the side walls rolled up. Two end walls/screen can be rolled up, to help breeze flow.

I have no idea how to explain, but it is a great heat collector which is the reason I do not use it in the summer. In it's defense, it is also fantastic in heavy rain downpours!

Summer camping tent is the Paha Que.

Depending upon season and weather forecast determines which tent comes along.

Jean

6. birder526

birder526 Novice

Hi Seekir,

Does the Paha Que do well in all four seasons?

Thanks!

Diane

7. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

My opinion the Paha Qua Cottonwood shelter, even with sides, would not be my choice in cold season camping. Only because the unattached sides do not form a complete seal on any of the sides.

The Cottonwood is different then the screen room. I have seen a screen room, it is nicely made but not on the same quality level as the NB.

Jean