Fridge / Cooler Heavy Coolers?

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by Jeannie, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Jeannie

Jeannie Novice

Hello! I've just realized something.. I have a family cabin with a full flight of steps, so I usually pack a few coolers because of the weight and hauling it myself these days. I was thinking about these AC/DC coolers and it hit me.. They are probably too heavy for me to lift, especially when they are full.

Also.. they will have to be lifted twice a day, at least, to put it all back in the kitchen to close it up at night and then open it up in the morning.

How many of you would Not put the sink in if you had it to do over? Also.. the stove? I'm afraid I won't want to mess up the galley with grease! LOL It's so pretty. :)

2. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

The dometic fridge for us is manageable. I pretty much use it only for the trailer. I put it on a towel and slide it out. The only lifting I do is from the trailer to the side table (and from the house to the trailer). I know some ladies have attached sliders on the bottom too, so they don't use a towel.

As to the sink and stove, I love them and wouldn't give them up for the way I camp. Could I, yes. I use my sink every day though, and that stove is amazing and has been very useful for me. I use it more than once a day. It is all personal preference. I know some people on the forum prefer their single burner stoves and toaster ovens, I prefer this. We rarely have power so being able to off-grid my cooking in this way has been fantastic. And it really isn't that tough to clean. Bacon gets pretty messy, and I have taken that to the campfire if we are doing it, but clean up is usually a snap. I use either washcloths or Mrs. Meyers cleaning wipes on the road and Bon Ami when I get home.

3. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Use the towel to slide the fridge out, and you only have to lift it from the edge of the counter to the table - about 2 or 3 feet. Put the custom straps on it to make it even easier. If you are toting coolers up stairs I don't think you will have a problem with the fridge. The stove and sink are so convenient that you won't want to be without them - especially the stove.

4. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Jean,
    we have the dometic so you can see it when you come. We have not made the straps for it yet but may this summer we do have sliders. We load it in the trailer and if we move it we put it on the larger table in front of the sink so it is more of a slide down or up a few inches. We take it in the house in the winter - just to be sure it's ok in the frozen north.
    Pat

5. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Jean about the stove and sink. We were thinking not to get them but asked Cary about resale and he thought it was good to get them. We did and we are very happy we did. We have a Cobb Grill and also a single electric burner and we love to cook on the campfire. Having all 3 gives us great choices for what we want to cook and how many days we are in one campground. If only overnight the 1 burner is quick.

6. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

The other Minnesota Jean here, I love the sink and stove. Part of what makes the Camp Inn a superior product.

If you don't get the sink or stove, then you will have to plan, purchase, pack, store, move a stove and water container. To me, Cary is right, resale will be impacted without a sink and stove.

I keep the Dometic in the car, run an extension cord out the back when in camp.

Modified a plug in to be hot all the time, so dometic stays on when car shut off.

I keep the fridge in the car during day trips to have cool refreshments, lunch,or grocery shopping.

Jean

7. Jean W

Jean again, to me the dometic is not any heavier then a traditional cooler. Built in handles allow for easy handeling.

8. michaelo

michaelo Novice

We did without the faucet/ hand spayer and sink all through Texas because of freezing over night temps. We winterized the water system to prevent freezing damage. When we were in Florida and had water on the power post it was great to have pressurized water at the sink. Now that we're in Southern California with above freezing overnights but primitive campsites we fill the water tank with a 2 gallon jug and use the on board water pump for the faucet and of course we have the use of our sink back. The Camp-Inn folks have got this figured out, the water system is very versatile and functions well in different camping situations, however if I was doing a lot of camping where there are freezing temps I would seriously consider not getting the water system because I think it's too much trouble going back and forth.

Michael

9. Jean W

Winterizing the water system is very easy, takes abouit 5 minutes and less then 1/2 gallon of RV antifreeze.

Use a plastic soda bottle, remove the bottom, keeping the cap end.
    Place cap end into water spout, pour in antifreeze. Activate water pump until antifreeze dispenses from faucet. Dump some antifreeze down drain trap.

Flushing is easy, takes time and water.

Jean

10. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  11. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Do you have two Craigs?