Headed up to Canada

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by Evan, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

We bought a pair of Bazooka folding bikes and they are in Vancouver, B.C. so we're going to make a weekend of it (about a four-hour drive).

Katie and I washed the bug for the first time (make sure you don't spray up through the air vents and get the cabin soaking wet like we did), and we're packing up tonight so we can leave right after work.

I'll try to take a few good pictures while were there.
    ya'll behave while I'm gone... :)

2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Have a great trip! Look forward to the pictures.

Ken

3. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Have fun be safe what do bozooka folding bikes look like!

Anna&Steve :)
    550 Classic #269

4. Evan

Hey, we're back. Had a great time - actually camped 5 miles south of the border in Blaine, WA. Then we headed across for the day on Saturday, picked up the bikes and looked around in Vancouver, B.C. Had a windstorm and then a rainstorm that night, but still had lots of fun. We can't imagine what camping in good weather will be like!

Anyways, I took some pictures of the bikes and our setup that I'll post later.

5. Evan

Here are a few pictures from the trip - mostly of our setup.

[​IMG]
    The mornings were cold. We love our 10'x10' pop-up tent by QuickShade!

[​IMG]
    The RV Mats (from Camping World) are about $60-$80 and work great - rain or shine. We also really like the chaise lounge chairs from Cabella's (these were the only model we found that were solid and not rickety).

[​IMG]
    Katie's hamming it up for the camera. We put the privacy tent right next to the camper for midnight visits. Now that we have our side tent poles again, we'll just put the toilet in the side tent at night.

[​IMG]
    One side wall, and the Mr. Buddy propane heater really take the chill off...

The weather got a bit nasty, and we ended up inside the trailer watching the Sound of Music and Canadian TV for part of the day. It's great to have the pop-up so you can still cook and eat without getting wet. Our only mishap was that the wind really picked up that night, so we got out and took down the pop-up tent so it wouldn't get ripped up. As soon as we did that, then it started raining (of course) and our chairs and bags got wet. Next time we'll look at the weather channel before bed :)

6. Steve & Ellen

Steve & Ellen Novice

Evan,
    You have a beautiful family.
    The last time Ellen and I camped out, 2 weeks ago, I did check the weather on our netbook. "Rain before dawn". I loaded everything up but the side tent. I had intended to hook-up to the car but my wife went out and I decided to wait till morning. It still made the breaking of camp very smooth.
    Steve

7. BobB

BobB Novice

Evan,
    Thanks for sharing the pictures. It's really helpful to see others setup. Looks like a great setup by the way. Glad you didn't get any damage from the wind.

8. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Evan,

How did the Mr Buddy work for you? It seems to me that would be a nice thing in that weather. I know Jim and Jamie just got one and it is set up for two lp bottles so they are having troubles hooking it up to their whip hose. Any input on that for them?

Cary

9. Evan

Cary,

There are several different sizes of Mr Buddy heaters. We got the second smallest one - there is only one smaller model. Ours cost about $80. It will accept one small lp bottle, but we just plug it right in to the trailer with the whip hose. It works great except when the wind blows it out. That's why we setup the side will on the popup tent.

10. Evan

Cary,

There are several different sizes of Mr Buddy heaters. We got the second smallest one - there is only one smaller model. Our cost about $80. It will accept one small lp bottle, but we just plug it right in to the trailer with the whip hose. It works great except when the wind blows it out. That's why we setup the side will on the popup tent.

Jim and Jamie must have a bigger model. Perhaps they can plug in one bottle permanently (even after it is empty), and then use the whip hose. If possible, maybe they could exchange it for the smaller model. I think it's better suited for tear dropping.

11. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

Cary and Evan-
    After looking at both size Mr Heater's, we think we've pinpointed the problem with our unit. On the smaller Portable Buddy (Evan's), there is no safety seat on the stem, but rather a hole through the stem, which allows propane to flow to the heater. On the larger Big Buddy (Jim's), which accommodates two gas bottles, there is an added safety feature that prevents gas flowing out when only one bottle is attached. On each of the tank swivel connections, that accept the 1 lb. bottles, there is a sealing seat on the top of each stem. This seat is opened by the matching stem in the 1 lb. bottle. All 1 lb. bottles have a stem with a sealing seat that gets depressed when screwed on to either heater. Camp Inn's hoses do not have a pin to depress the stem in the Big Buddy, therefore gas can not flow into the heater. The Big Buddy also has a quick disconnect fitting. We would like to be able to go from the trailer's quick disconnect to the Big Buddy's quick disconnect. We are currently seeking a solution! (are you thoroughly confused?)
    After all of this, we wish we had purchased the smaller unit originally. Anyone looking for good deal on on a Big Buddy?!!

12. Evan

Can you take it back or at least exchange it?

13. Steve & Ellen

Steve & Ellen Novice

Have you checked Mr Buddy website. It has alot of stuff.
    I have dealt with them on some older products. At least a couple of there techs are knowledgeable.
    I suspect they have a way to take your unit to a bulk tank. Then you would only have to adapt to the fitting on the trailer.
    Even a barbed connector and hose clamps could allow that to happen. Propane is low pressure. Just a thought.
    Steve

14. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

Problem resolved. While at WalMart today, we found an 8 foot Hose Assembly made by Ozark Trail, that is designed for connecting stoves and converters to a distribution post or trailer tank "T". Anyway, when connected between our whip hose and Mr. Heater, it works for us. Now we are happy campers!!