grenade pin on the trailer tongue

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by Julie/Duane in the Tardis, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Just returned from Morro Bay on the central coast of California. Had a nice time with Tina (our teardrop) and got to use the Zamp 40 watt solar panel. Everything worked well and got a trickle charge to the battery. First opportunity to use it but really wasn't necessary for only 4 days in camp.
    But as we returned to Fresno CA, I turned into the neighbor's driveway to get a straight shot backing up into our driveway. The cable must have gotten caught on a security chain and it pulled the emergency pin out from the tongue. Bit of a surprise that. Locked up things nicely but I wasn't moving at any speed backing up. I'm going around trying to figure how to disconnect the pin housing or else the trailer isn't moving anywhere when my wife said "hey, what's this doing hanging down?". Julie then said why don't I reconnect it. That's when I noticed it was a double prong pin and it fit nicely back into the housing. Everything worked very well then. (Thank you Julie.)
    I called Cary next day and he said as long as we didn't drive any distance and burn up the brakes, all should be right. Thought I'd share this little episode in case others ran into the same thing. Next time out, we'll find another way to attache the cable to the bumper that won't create a bind.
    Live & learn

2. PlasticsMan

PlasticsMan Novice

For what its worth, I wrap and connect the emergency break away cable around the right side of the hitch receiver frame tube. This location seems to keep the cable free and clear of the safety chains while allowing plenty of slack to prevent pulling the "grenade pin" in a tight turn. Of course your tow vehicle's set up may require something different...

After purchasing my used TD I had to get it inspected prior to title transfer and registration. Part of the inspection included pulling the break away pin, putting the tow vehicle in gear, and trying to pull forward. The trailer brakes locked and I dragged the trailer with locked wheels about a foot across the gravel parking lot before the inspector said stop. It was reassuring to experience the break away device / brakes working as designed.

3. Kelly

Kelly Novice

Thank you taking the time to post your experience with the break-away pin - just never know who/when it may help.

Julie: good eye :)

Kelly

4. Larry Running

Larry Running Junior Ranger Donating Member

I replaced my cable with a coiled one which is short enough to "pull the pin" be has the flexibility to not get caught up on anything.

Kevin likes this.