GPS-Theft Protection

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by hiadventurer, Aug 17, 2014.

1. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

Giving some thought to installing a GPS transmitter that could be used in case of trailer theft. With the amount of investment it just seems like a good way to locate the trailer. I am not an electronic geek so looking for suggestions. Something low cost high degree of reliability. Thanks R

2. GhostOrchid

GhostOrchid Junior Ranger

That's an excellent idea. So excellent that I'll bet the brain trust in Necedah eventually offers it as an option.

In the meantime, I'm hopeful that one of the smart people on this forum has done it and can give some tips.

3. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

The topic came up between Cary and I a couple days ago when we were placing our order. We were discussing theft protection ie hitch locks and wheel boots. History has shown that the CI's that have been stolen did have at least one of those and it did not stop the thieves. In other words if they want it locks wont stop them. I'm sure it is a deturant to some and sure I will have some level of protection but would like to take it one step further and a simple transmitter would aid in the recovery process. I think they make them for motorcycles and bicycles just dont know if they would or could be adapted to a CI....R

4. GinaNBob

GinaNBob Novice

Ron
    Definitely a great idea. Wonder if LoJack would work? I have heard some people are now leaving the location service on on the iPhones in case they are lost hiking. Wonder if you could leave your iPhone on in the trailer and then use the find my phone app if it is stolen?
    Gina

5. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016