Good Backpacking Tent Suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by keirajohnston, Sep 17, 2022.

1. Looking at the REi Passage 1 or 2, as they’re on sale right now due to being discontinued.

Kevin likes this.
  2. SethB

SethB Ranger

It looks like either of those would be a good place to start. I think they’re based on the older REI Half-Dome design, which was a classic.

They’ve gotten a bit lighter, and maybe now good for 2-1/2 season use. Spring, Summer, and early fall, depending on location.

The weight is pretty decent, the price is very good… Vestibules are good, the 2nd door in the “2” is good if there are two people inside they’re not crawling over one another to get in/out of the tent.

For what it’s worth. I haven’t been backpacking for many years, and haven’t kept up with the latest designs, but they look very decent.

Kevin likes this.
  3. Steve & Betsy

Steve & Betsy Novice

We have a Big Agnes Copper Spur. We’re 6’ and 6’1”, so we have the 3 person, which is just right for the 2 of us. It is light weight, packs reasonably small, is easy to set up, and has great features.

Big Agnes also makes a Copper Spur 2 person, which I believe is the same as the 3 person, just smaller.

We also have a Tarp Tent Double Rainbow. It is supposed to be a 2 person tent, but given our height it is too small. In my opinion a great 1 person tent. Very light weight (if I recall under 2 Lb). My other complaint about the tent is the floor is slippery, so if you’re not camped on level ground, things will bunch up on the downhill side.

Tarp Tent makes several models, so they may be worth checking out. Being a single wall tent, condensation can be an issue, though they have an accessory to hang from the top of the tent to address condensation. It does cost a couple inches of head room.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
    Van_and_Terri likes this.
  4. rgupnorth

rgupnorth Junior Ranger Donating Member

Might be late on this but don't get anything smaller than a 2 person tent. Also through experience get a size larger sleeping pad than recommended. It doesn't weigh much more and is much more comfortable.

REI, Moosejaw and Backcountry are good sources.

Kevin likes this.