"ghost" Tail Lights

Discussion in 'Electrical & Mechanical Issues' started by Les Izmore, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Les Izmore

Les Izmore Junior Ranger

This post is in regard to two or more of the many LEDS in the tail lights being on for no apparent reason (headlights, brake lights, etc are not activated). To cut to the chase on this issue, it is caused by moisture in the battery compartment. This post also explains what we have done to satisfactorily resolve this issue.

Cary has offered various explanations for this phenomenon. At first, it was water traveling down the tube that carries the main power cable from the tongue to the battery compartment. I sealed this, as did Craig in one of my visits to the factory. Lately, I was told the definitive solution to this was sealing around the LED tail lights. However, in July 2028 Craig had sealed the tail lights, as well as the entry point where the power conduit enters the battery compartment, sealed around the solar socket (both inside and outside), resealed the entire side of the edge of the camper wall above the battery compartment (this is the moulding on the topside of the camper that is next to the galley hatch - it runs the entire length of the camper) and any other things he could think of. So we have the best sealed battery compartment out there (we also had spent a continuous 49 months full timing, so we've been in situations that challenge the compartment's water tightness far more than the typical Camp Inn owner - it's not too likely that the typical owner would have this issue to the extent that they would be concerned about any long term damage to the battery compartment, as we were).

Two days after leaving the factory with our many attempts at making things watertight, we got caught in a monsoonal rainstorm in Iowa, and we once again had water in the battery compartment. Other lighter rain storms after that time also caused the tail lights to "ghost," meaning the water was still getting in there. What to do now?

The first thing we did was to throw a Concrobium Moisture Grabber in the deep storage beside the battery compartment. It's a good fix if you aren't out on the road continually, and not camping in a damp and rainy environment. It's great at getting the wood well dried out, so there is no lasting damage from it getting wet. But it's a pain to get one in the battery compartment where it would do the most good, and then you can't easily check to see if it needs to be replaced.

The permanent solution was to drill a 3/4" hole through the battery compartment floor, giving the water a place to go. First, I drilled a pilot hole through the floor. Outside, I used a 1" spade bit to drill a hole about a 1/4" deep. Then I used a 3/4" spade bit to drill through from the inside of the battery compartment. It was important to varnish the inside of the new hole, so that any water that exits does not get absorbed into the wood. Once that was done, I secured a screened hose washer to the underside of the camper with two screws, in order to keep any bugs from making their home inside the battery compartment. Lastly, and I suspect this isn't really necessary, I installed a stainless steel vent cover over the washer (this is the same vent cover that is on the cabin door - it was installed so the opening faces the rear bumper). Since doing this, the "ghosting" tail light problem seems to be solved. Together with replacing the Moisture Grabbers when necessary, the wordwork has remained dry and is no longer a source of worry.

Ken & Peggy and Steve and Karen like this.
  2. Thanks Steve and Alea.

I second the use of the moisture grabbers as preventive maintenance. No leaks for us per se. But living in the Northeast, unwanted moisture through humidity, temp changes and condensation, in confined spaces, is a constant enemy. Regardless of inside storage and a lack of monsoon exposure.

I have noted some premature corrosion on some electrical terminal connections in the battery compartment. Which as you say, is too tight and inconvenient a space for a silica bag placement. Turning the the battery compartment divider into a decorative Swiss Cheese panel with some Forstner bits or Dremel (if you are so inclined) would allow some air movement, and for you to place something absorptive in the adjacent cabinet.