Inquiry Gettysburg 150th

Discussion in 'Gatherings' started by Evan, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Here's an interesting thought. I have a friend who does a lot of Civil War reenacting. Apparently the 150th anniversary of the beginning of the Civil War is in 2011, and Gettysburg will be happening in July 2013. They are expecting over 50,000 reenactors from all over the world. This would be a sight to see. We'd sure love to be there. Wouldn't it be great to have a teardrop gathering then...

http://www.gettysburg.travel/150/index.asp

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  2. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Gettysburg is an interesting place. As a school kid had an image in my head Gettysburg was a wide open battle site. OH, my never searched for images of Gettysburg as an adult.

Nov 2007 I was able to visit Gettysburg geocaching with a friend. OH, my totally shocked about the battlefield. Very interesting place with gentle hills, huge boulders, rock formations, and momuments everywhere, blacktop roads, and segways.

Enjoyed visiting this historic site, reading all the historical signs, and silently laughing at my "image" of a battle field.

During the celebrations, I can't image a empty campground or hotel space for miles!

Jean

3. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Gettysburgh, is awesome. I do feel that GB has to be maintained.
    I have been there 4 times, my 1st time 8yrs old, and the other 3 times as an adult. I am still in awe. I shed a tear. I will go again, but not when the whole world will be there. I know it would be neat to see, but not worth putting up with the crowds. to each their own.

PS, When I have gone there as an adult, when I could appreciate what GB represented, I could hear the cannon, and the moans and screems of the wounded and dieing. It is very eerie.

4. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

I'm normally not a crowd person. The only reason I would consider going during that busy time is because of the huge reenactments. To be able to stand on a hill and look down and see the battles happening down below would be incredible - although I might have to rent a hot air balloon to get a view.

Perhaps this would help...
    [​IMG]

5. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Yup that would do it. Better hope them guns ain't loaded! You know they aim high on those reenactments LOL

6. rockytopsc

rockytopsc Novice

Hey Evan
    Reenacting is another hobby of ours. We participated in the 145th at Gettysburg w/ about 15,000 reenactors. We are planning on participating in the 150th and hoping it is a sight to see.
    Jason