Getting New Brakes- Any Recomendations

Discussion in 'Electrical & Mechanical Issues' started by Chris in CA, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Chris in CA

Chris in CA Newbie

I brought my 550 Ultra into a shop today to have them check the brakes. He told me the brakes are shot. He said I need a new drum, seal and something plate.

I purchased the trailer used, but in great shape. It is a 2012 model.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Chris

2. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

Unlike a car, trailer brakes, especially small drums, don't have a lot to choose from. If they fit, they fit, and if they work, they work. As long as they have the wheels off, have them service the bearings.

3. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

Brakes wear out, but many trailerites set the braking level too high which wears early. A 550 is quite light and Camp Inn puts in an oversized axle. On an empty open level road get your rig rolling about 30 mph then put it in neutral. Manually apply the trailer brakes, it should slow the rig a bit, just barely noticeably.
    If there is real slowing, back off on the brake setting, in my experience it should be something like half the maximum level.

4. Chris in CA

Chris in CA Newbie

thank you. I will definitely have them service the bearings as well

5. Chris in CA

Chris in CA Newbie

Thank you rotus8. I did read about that test, but not as precise as you suggest. So thanks, I will do that. Since my vehicle is a Subaru Crosstrek with a 4 cyl., I am happy to have the brakes

6. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Rotus8 is exactly correct. We see most users running their brakes set to high. If you can feel the camper braking behind you it is set to high. For sure this is probably wear from running the brakes set to high. Tire wear was probably excessive also.

When trailer brakes are worn the whole backing plate assembly needs to be replaced.

The bad news is right now there is a nationwide shortage of trailer brake components so your shop may have issues sourcing the needed parts.

Cary

7. Chris in CA

Chris in CA Newbie

thank you Cary. Yes, he said I need a new drum, new seal, and backing plate. Is there any specific parts advice you have that I can convey to him?

And thank you and Routus8 for the advice on setting the controller. Once I have everything installed I will follow your advice on setting it.

8. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

E-Trailer appears to have 7" Dexter brake assemblies in stock.

9. Chris in CA

Chris in CA Newbie

thanks Lipster. Is 7" the size I would need? And is their a specific weight capacity I should make sure they order? Sorry for all the dumb questions. IF it matters, I have a 2012 550 ultra with the SUV option. At least that is what the seller told me.

10. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

Email Cary to make sure, but in my manual, it says to buy 7" Dexter brake assembly, right and left side. They are not interchangeable. E-trailer sells them as a set for under $200.

Chris in CA likes this.
  11. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Chris,

Nothing specific really to tell the shop. It sounds like they have a really good handle on it. I second Lipster, eTrailer is a great source for these. Backing plate assemblies are a bit easier to get (need a set of left and right) the part with big shortages are the drums. If the drums are saveable they may want to consider that instead of replacing.

Cary

12. Chris in CA

Chris in CA Newbie

Thanks again. I spoke with the shop he pretty much repeated everything you said about availability. LOL. So he will be servicing the drums. Also replace and pack the bearings. Thanks again for all the help.

Cary Winch likes this.