Gas Fire Pit Sale

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Van_and_Terri, Jan 10, 2023.

1. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

This option has good reviews and presently 53% off.

Attached Files:

Kevin likes this.
  2. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

I’m quite ignorant when it comes to knowing anything about portable gas heaters. Are these types of gas fires efficient if you want to use them to provide heat? I’d like to find something that can be used to keep somewhat warm while sitting outside in colder temps. But obviously would prefer not always needing to carry enough fuel so as not to run out.

Ken & Peggy and Kevin like this.
  3. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

I'm also curious. I've used a Mr Buddy full size in a leaky tent trailer which worked pretty well, at down to 30f to take the chill off in the morning - raising the temp around 20 degrees or a bit more after say: 30 minutes. These are used alot on hunting blinds, ice fishing houses, even seen youtubers using in vans (tho personally I think thats a bad idea in any small well- sealed space - as Mr Buddys do give off Carbon Monoxide which will kill ya, or a humongous headache if it doesnt.

The easiest is the 1gallon gas tank like you see in sporting or hunting goods store will run that about 6- 8 hours max if on medium heat. That snuggles right into the side and makes it easily portable.

My "guess" is it will be good for warming toes inside of a larger tent like a New Breeze four poster 10x10 or in the Clam tents, but probably do little to raise the temp much inside that larger volume unless the floor panel is attached and side wind awnings/wind panel walls are strapped down good. There has to be some youtubes on this- maybe Cosmo Weems (god bless him) did one on his Clam in the snow?

I defer to others with more experience, just my $0.02 and ymmv.
    I hope to test out side panel gas outlet and optional accessory to feed the Mr Buddy from the CI propane system in a little winter camping soon. The trick will be to allocate between cooking use as #1: mans gotta eat a good breakfast plus coffee and it would be un-American not to use that chef quality stainless steel kitchen otherwise. Plus #2 (for me) using gas furnace cabin heat if you have that option,
    With #3 as toes warming sitting out on a cold morning in BLM or USFS land otherwise closed to campfires.

Just like you can buy adapters on the Mr Buddy website to attach to a standalone 20lb propane bottle like you might use under your backyard bbq,
    but instead in your hunting blind, icebouse, or Clam standalone tent, or the ARB side tents some CI owners are rocking since those came out on the CI. I think its really cool CampInn came out with the side port option to connect gas appliances long ago, so I gotta try that out first.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
  4. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

I have no interest in heating a tent. I'd just like to fire something up during and after dinner just outside the CI, to sit around. I'd prefer something simple and easy to carry/store/use. In the morning I'm up, dressed, and out and about. It's when the sun starts going down in the shoulder seasons where it's too early to sleep and too cold to stay outside without some type of heater.

Kevin and Ken & Peggy like this.
  5. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

We have a Campfire in a Can and carry a 20lb propane bottle. Propane usage varies greatly depending on how much you turn the flame up. Some friends use the one on sale which I posted above and are happy with it.

JohnC likes this.
  6. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Yep, thats about it for me, too, John.
    In or out of a tent room it would be nice to heat the toes and ankles while cooking or sitting with tea before bed.

The reason I'm testing it out is because In some parts of the west in shoulder seasons its not uncommon due to drought for BLM, USFS and state land managers to be proactive and suspend all open fires,
    but allow propane cooking stoves,
    and I'd guess (subject to area rules which differ often) a Mr Buddy or something like it would most likely be okay, or at most get a warning if you made a credible "ooops"! mistake in interpretation.

Fyi with all the much needed wet, Joshua Tree is back allowing open campfires according to my adult daughter going with friends this weekend.

Yay!

Tour 931 likes this.