Galley Dining Table

Discussion in 'Custom Additions' started by pbaker2225, May 29, 2015.

1. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

Ever since I got my trailer I have been wishing the dining table was the same height as the counter tops so I could better utilize it as a work space. I finally got the modification done. I miscalculated and the table is a little higher than the counter top. I could fix it but probably won't. I bought 3/4 inch square aluminum tubing to extend the table leg. I used two table extensions fastened together one above the other onto two 9x12 pieces of sheet aluminum. It took a little figuring and drilling and some longer screws. It works great and I can have the table high or low. I also extended the leg on the other table as Have mostly been camping where the leg needed to be longer because of a slope or uneven ground. No more carrying blocks of 2x4 to block it up.
    The second week in June I'm going camping so will try it out and see how I like it.
    I still haven't learned to do pictures on the forum.

2. Old_Prospector

Old_Prospector Junior Ranger

Pat. Being able to set the table to two heights (one for eating and one for food prep) is a great idea.

Of course you do realize a picture is worth a thousand words! And an accompanying write-up with dimensional description might get you nominated for inventor of the year. :grin: PM Evan and see if he can upload the photos for you.

3. pbaker2225

I can't take much credit for this at all. Dan of Dan and Vanessa invented the table extension and I got one when I picked up my trailer. I tried to get the table hardware alone so I could use that and the table extension to make my own variation but wasn't able to find the same hardware anywhere. I finally ordered another table extension. I wanted a piece of aluminum 8x26x1/8 inch thick but that had to be special cut and way too much money. I found a place that had 9x12x 1/8 scraps for under ten dollars. Of course they make their money on shipping. I will try to work out a more detailed description of what I did if people are interested. Should have written it down as I did it. Really, describing it is harder than doing it.

4. pbaker2225

OP, It looks like you are the only one who has any interest in this Modification. I have been trying diligently to learn to post a picture. I downloaded Picasa. I had previously set up FTP but haven't been able to figure out how to resize and move the photos. I can post instructions to build it but if you want pictures you will have to pm me a phone number. I am thrilled to have this extra work space but haven't been out camping with it yet.

5. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Another part of the country is interested....me. The present work space is just fine for down dirty and fast meals, but sometimes I'd like to do something fancy, which requires more space. Your extension is interesting. Would love a pic 'cause detailed descriptions don't compute for my little mixed up mind.

Thanks for sharing.

Sue

6. Quinny

Quinny Novice

I'm interested too! Sometimes I don't know whether to chime in with a "Me too!" sort of response, but am reading most posts pretty avidly these days.

I'm a newbie... Can you tell? ;)

Quinny

7. pbaker2225

I will be giving my modification a good tryout next week. Hope to be able to post something with pictures when I get back.

8. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Great. Have fun Pat. Looking forward to the pics.

Jenn, you always come up with something good. Like the idea of a wood work surface and a spot for hot pots.

Sue

9. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

Jenn, that's a cool solution you saw. Hmm; I just thought of something. It's probably completely impractical to implement... I have a fender shelf from Tim (Tim & Adrianne). I wonder... if someone super clever could come up with a dual-purpose fender shelf? that just-so-happens to have the exact size foldup legs that would work as a fender shelf as well as be the right height for this galley-table height ?

I love have things that have multiple purposes, are practical, and of course--look good. :) I might have to go setup the galley table in the garage and see what I can do with the existing fender shelf I have.

10. pbaker2225

I got the Photos of the table mocification into Google Photos and marked them public. If anyone can view them and wants a detailed description and build sheet let me know and I will post it here.

11. I would love to see your table, I don't know how to look at google photos, other than my own. have you figured out a way to upload pics yet? How is the table working out?

12. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

We want pictures...lol...;)