Front Comparment Shelf And Shoe Storage

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Steve and Karen, Dec 4, 2023.

1. We got the 560 for the extra length. The bunk beds and the bench were never top selling points. In fact we could never get comfortable with the bench in any position. Propped with pillows we can easily watch the iPad mounted high on wall near the ceiling. And no grandkids yet. So I took the unnecessary bench parts out. Besides, it was constantly hindering our ability to access the front storage, so it was an under-utilized space or a PITA if we did have to dig into it.

We (like everyone else) also had a shoe storage issue at night. Others on the forum have come up with their own solutions (sliding boxes fixed to the undercarriage, lidded Rubbermaids on the ground) but each has their issues. Leaving footwear out invites dampness, or salt-loving creatures for a midnight snack.

Two birds, one stone:

View attachment upload_2023-12-4_12-7-44.jpeg

View attachment upload_2023-12-4_12-7-56.jpeg

The shelf is adjustable and a friction fit:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B073ZCG6LQ?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

... and there is still room for linens or other shoes on top. Easily fits 5 pairs of footwear on one level. Obviously the power plugs limit you as to where you can place the shelf.

Cindy and Dean did their own wood shelf version:http://campinnforum.com/community/threads/front-cubby-shelving-addition.5355/ . With our double door and center section (which they don't have) I wasn't confident that I could get everything through a single opening, pivoted and fitting tight. So Bezos gets some more money in his pocket with this aluminum version. Now having put this in, I think that a full-length single shelf comprised of of 2-3 horizontal pieces could be manipulated through the openings. I may still try a wood version with some test scrap pieces; their wood shelving looks too good to not give it a go.

Van_and_Terri, Kevin and dustinp like this.
  2. Edit: The geometry of the openings doesn't allow for a full length (36") shelf of any one-piece design. The longest 1-pc board (of any width) one could get in is 34". So the supports for the right side would have to be "built-in" to the space slightly. Pretty sure the cut opening for Cindy and Dean's is a couple inches wider than our double and the lack of of a center section means you can angle them in better.

Kevin likes this.
  3. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Following with interest...