Flea Market Iron

Discussion in 'Camp Cooking & Dutch Ovens' started by Louie R Magdaleno, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Hey all , I've been looking for a " Waffle Iron " for some time now.. I put in a few bids on " E-bay ", but prices went way toooo far "$$$$" & there's the additional shipping charges to consider.

Well, I finally found a complete " #8 Griswold " for a very reasonable price ($35.00) !
    [​IMG]
    Just needs a little clean-Up..
    [​IMG]
    On the " BBQ " to Burn off most of the " Old Grease & Soot ".
    [​IMG]
    Scrubbed off a bit before heading into the " Ice Chest ".

[​IMG]
    Soaking in a plastic Ice Chest : " 50 % Vinegar / 50% Water " solution(2 days) & then few more scrubbed downs(4), before going back onto the " BBQ " with a little oil rubbed in, for a re-seasoning.

[​IMG]
    A finished project , after Cooking on the " BBQ " for a few hours
    [​IMG]

L.M.

2. abccampinn

abccampinn Novice

Very nice work!
    Charlie

3. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Looks good, would you like to do mine? I'm scared to remove the wooden handles.

4. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

L.M., Now the fun begins. I'll show you mine:

[​IMG]

Now you show me yours!

Good luck,
    Hilditch

5. Oysterpot

Here's mine. The ones I am afraid to take the handles off.

[​IMG]

6. Oysterpot

Nice looking waffle. Is it an 8". Mine is a 7". What is your recipe?

7. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Beautiful stuff! Great job.

8. Okay .. It works perfectly ..Nothing sticking to the Iron ..Just needed to figure out the Tempeture settings ( Electric Stove & Burners) & amount to pour.. ( :
    [​IMG]
    I followed the directions for mixing printed on the Box( 7 inch Round Waffles )
    4-5 : 3 Cups of Mix / 2 Eggs / 1/3 cup of Oil / 1 1/2 cups of Water.

I substituted " Milk " , instead of water & used " Peanut Oil ".. I was able to make Five Waffles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My " High Base, #8 Wafer Iron " , next to the " Low Base. #8 Waffle Iron ".

L.M.

9. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

Lookin' GOOD L.M.! You got it going. That sure does look like my Waring Pro fryer that I love.
    I find my low base requires about half the heat of the high base on a gas stove.

Hilditch

10. Thanks !!

Yup, its a " Waring Pro Fryer ".. on the left hand corner!

Just got back from " Santa Barbara " .. beautiful sunny day !!
    I love stopping by the " Sur La Table " , lots of great Cooking Gadgets,etc.

L.M.

11. Travelguy

Travelguy Novice

L.M.

Looks like the handles come off your hi Base . Was that easy to do?

Todd

12. Hey Todd,

The " High Base " was an " E-bay buy " without the handles.

I was bound and determined to get myself a " Waffle Iron " a few months back.. There were a few up for bid, and I started bidding on them ( 4 )..

However, in my haste..., I didn't completely read the item description.., on one of them :sleep:

I was intially thrilled @ the low price(My Winning Bid), compared to the much, much higher bids on the " Waffle Irons "..

Well, I finally notice, the " High Base " was in fact a " WAFER IRON ".. :eek:

[​IMG]
    ALFRED ANDERSON & CO
    [​IMG]

Hey, my mistake .. " Fair Price " on a " Wafer Iron " minus the handles ! :whistle:

L.M.

13. Oysterpot

Have you used the Wafer Iron? It looks like a nice pattern

14. Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  15. Oysterpot

I am not that familiar with the vintage stuff. I am not sure what you have to put the handles on. There is a site, that you might check with, maybe some one on there might have some handles that would work.

WWW.wag-society.org

16. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

L.M.,

Griswold made these for Andresen between 1901 and 1908. I don't know Andresen's specs but during this time frame Griswold used straight 5/8" wood dowel handles that extended 3" beyond the ci. Before 1901 they were only 2". The inside ends were cut to fit the ci and were held in place with a single 1/8" pin just long enough to catch on the ci to keep them from coming out. The outside ends were rounded a little.

You probably have a 5/8"hole. If so, buy a dowel, cut to length, drill a 1/8" hole in place to keep it tight, cut a 1/8" nail and put it in with a couple drops of water. Done.

For the real look, work over the handles with some veg. oil & grime off your tires. Then wash, dry & install. You can get more patina with a Bic too.

Be careful with eBay cast iron. There is more crap out there than good stuff - mismatched waffle irons, warped or cracked pans, BS, etc. - than good stuff. That's why the good stuff gets the $$$.

Hilditch

17. The female ends look to be threaded & no pin hole , it might have been an all metal arrangement similar to my " Griswold ", with a different points of attachment ... ?

I bought the piece on " E-Bay ", from a member of " WAG ".. I inquired a few questions(PM him). But, we kind of lost contact after a few discussions.. He might have been toooo busy with his other projects, to get back to me ...?

Oh well, I'll figure something out .. It is a " Good Iron @ a Fair Price ", just missing the original type of handles ..

L.M.

18. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

L.M.

Reviewing the picture above of the Wafer Iron, does the photo show both outside areas?

Is the inside like a traditional waffle iron?
    If the photo is the inside pattern, that is a Krumkakka iron, not a waffle iron. Krumkakka are Norweigan cookies, mmmmgoood.

jean

19. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

L.M., Probably threaded wood handles like a paint roller extension. May or may not have had a locking pin.

[​IMG]

Hilditch

20. Hey Hilditch,
    Thanks for the " Photo ".. It makes more sense now, & is a very easy project to reproduce !!

The threads appear to be " FINE ", which are normally used for metal vs " Course " thread normally used on Wood.. I was also looking for a " PIN " hole , but your photo shows a different set-up, than what I was visualizing.. (Normal Roll Pin Hole).

I'm also using the term " Wafer Iron " , which I thought was a (Sugar Cone/Ice Cream Cone)type of thin " Cookie or Wafer ? ".

L.M.