First Camping Trip In 2005 550

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ncaress, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Ncaress

Ncaress Newbie

I Went to Ruidoso NM last weekend for 3 nights and I love my "new to me" 2005 550 Ultra!!! I'm a SOTF member and all of the gals fell in love with Midge. Here are a few of my lessons learned on my first outing...

1. It's hard to set up the side tent if you leave the straps at home.
    2. The back table makes a perfect racoon perch for the trash bag buffet you left hanging on a tree branch.
    3. You can get the racoons off the table by sitting up, doing a shimmy and yelling out the window "get out of here you little bas$%#d's. Either might work, but I found using both to be very effective.
    4. Sunglasses are required while driving if you used your Covid 19 time at home to over polish your CampInn instead of learning to play the guitar.

Overall it was a great trip and was so thankful to be out camping :)

Attached Files:

2. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

Sounds like a wonderful time!

3. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Nice polish job!

4. rgupnorth

rgupnorth Junior Ranger Donating Member

That really has a shine - definitely would need sunglasses all the way around.

5. Ncaress

Ncaress Newbie

It's 15 years old, had pitting on one side and lots of oxidation all over. I kept trying to "even it out" and oops its super shiny. I also had bed liner sprayed on the front to replace the alcan cover. As you can imagine, after 15 years the alcan cover was pretty gross and so was the finish underneath.

6. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Post a pic of the front sometime, would love to see it. Been considering that for some time.

7. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

please share what you did for polishing, besides spending a lot of time and elbow-grease.