Favorite Leveling Blocks?

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Randy, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Looking for suggestions for “drive-up” leveling blocks. The flat ones don’t work well because the slip when trying to back up on them. Seen both the curved ramp style and “lego” style. Links to your specific favorite are a bonus :) !

Thanks in advance!

Randy

2. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

3. Hi Randy,

I use something akin to these NAPA wheel ramps. (Part #: BK 8155002 at napaonline.com in case link doesn't work). They may not be quite as clever for leveling but are great for steep slopes or getting the kitchen higher (I'm 6'5").

Good Times,
    --Ken

Randy likes this.
  4. SethB

SethB Ranger

I’m using the 4-pack of Lynx leveling blocks when needed, $15. Lego-like.

if I just need an inch I’ll use the CI jack. Use a staggered set of 3 blocks like a ramp.

But I’m more likely to grab a nearby rock or campfire wood, which seem to be mostly available when needed!

5. Greg & Shelly

Greg & Shelly Novice Donating Member

I have an Anderson leveling block. Always works great.

PrairieVikings and Randy like this.
  6. These are mint!

Randy likes this.
  7. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

The Anderson levelers are awesome. Although I usually just used the levelers to raise the low side....the trailer is light enough I never had a problem. It’s not like your lifting a 8000lb jayco....

PrairieVikings and Randy like this.
  8. ssackett

ssackett Novice

Love this forum. You all always teach me something new!

Sweeney likes this.
  9. Jim & Selma

Jim & Selma Novice

I just use a round chock on the tongue end jack wheel to keep from rolling anywhere. See photo.
    Then get some weight on both back jacks (with a power drill) BEFORE I unhook. Then level up from there with a socket wrench. Once you are off the ground in back you don’t really need any blocks. Works for us…
    The round chock was <$5 at Menards. It’s nice in the garage at home too - Smoother to reposition the camper than the loose wheel. Stays put with nice.
    Good idea to give those back wheels a spin and a good wiggle to check your wheel bearings out while you have the chance. I forgot to do just that when we were jacked up for a week on Vancouver Island. The next week we were
    driving in Idaho and had a bearing go out. Ouch. Stitch in time, live and learn?

Attached Files:

10. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

You really need to polish that wheel housing...

Jim & Selma likes this.
  11. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

Both wheels off the ground is a bad idea. The leveling jacks are not designed to be stable in the side to side direction. At least one tire should be firmly on the ground to prevent sideways motion or the jacks could collapse.

Jerry Kemp likes this.
  12. Jim & Selma

Jim & Selma Novice

Rotus8-
    Technically you are right about that. We are usually down to earth on one side.
    Some sites have had us with both wheels up.
    Actually, I think the camper rocks less when both jacks are down tight. Also a bit harder for someone to make off with the camper when you aren’t around. So far we’re both OK.
    It’s still good to check your bearings while set up, one campsite at a time anyways.

Lipster- You are right about that rusty patina. Oily patina would have been better for the picture. Will do!

13. Jim & Selma

Jim & Selma Novice

Rust gone, new picture…

Attached Files:

14. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

Oh, Good Lord. Now I feel bad...

Jim & Selma likes this.
  15. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

After reading this post, I feel like I'm clearly either doing something wrong, or just missing out on a lot of good stuff that everyone else here in this thread is finding.

I've somewhat bragged about my 4x4 SUV tow vehicle, and several off road trips where we've taken our 550 deep off road, miles into the mountains on several trips.

Somehow, I've always seemed to have found a pretty level place to pull over and set up for the night. Right now, I'm pondering if I've just been extremely lucky, or OTOH, if I've just been happy with good enough, but others here are out seeking (and achieving) tear drop leveling perfection?

16. campdude

campdude Ranger

There ya' go Jim......now Lipster can sleep good at night

17. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

No I can't. Now Jim's is sparklier than mine...

18. SethB

SethB Ranger

This may be counter-intuitive, but some of the hardest leveling I’ve had to do is in developed Forest Service campgrounds. When you reserve a site, unseen, months in advance, you a) don’t know what you’ll find when you get there, and b) probably only have one place you *can* position the td!

Case in point: This summer we finally scored a campsite at one of the most popular FS campgrounds in Oregon (Waldo Lake), and arrived to find that the tongue jack had to be FULLY retracted, and the left-rear jack NEARLY FULLY extended to get level. I regretted no longer carrying the lego blocks levelers we used to bring; I think they’re going back in the pack!

I don’t doubt that the off-road campsites tend to be more level with more choices. Public CGs want you to park where they want you…

Jerry Kemp likes this.
  19. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

I haven't seen that as much in Texas, but I'm still a tent camper also, and I've noticed that a lot more in some of the more western states. Forced to walk a bit of a distance from the vehicle and forced to set up a tent on a concrete pad.

My 1st thought is what are these people thinking.

But as I ponder deeper, I wonder what have bad past campers here done, that would make forcing tent campers onto concrete pads seem like a good idea/last resort?

When I tent camp by choice and not traveling, we tend to do a lot of primitive camping, and more times than not primitive camping is the best.

20. Jim & Selma

Jim & Selma Novice

Gravity never sleeps…