Favorite Camping Chair?

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Randy, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

2. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

hammock does it for me....;)

3. DrTwitch

DrTwitch Novice

Randy, we have two of the same g I rocking chairs. They are nice, rock smoothly, sometimes squeek, but are best on level surfaces. Umbrella chairs work better on Rocky uneven terrain.

We also use one of the new two person tree hammocks that are dirt cheap everywhere right now.

Randy likes this.
  4. adrianneross

adrianneross Junior Ranger Donating Member

The Strongback Chair ( The Most Comfortable Outdoor Chairs by STRONGBACK ) has been infecting the Land of Lincoln Chapter of the TearJerkers - with only a handful of colors, we've had to start personalizing them so no one walks off with the wrong chair.

Kevin, Ken & Peggy, jfocallag and 2 others like this.
  5. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

OK, slightly off topic - I want to say what chair I don't like as a public service announcement. I usually like the stuff from REI but their REI Co-op Camp Compact Chair is a real dud. We bought 2 a couple of years ago. After a year or so the seams split - we thought it was a fluke. They did replace one of them under the 1 year warranty, we bought a second replacement. Now a year later both of the new ones have also split. Neither my wife nor I are particularly heave (180 and 130 pounds). Avoid this one!:
    REI Co-op Camp Compact Chair

Kevin likes this.
  6. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Interesting. Have you had them long?

7. Busy B

Busy B Newbie

8. adrianneross

adrianneross Junior Ranger Donating Member

This is our first year with them but there are a few guys in our group who've had them for a couple years now. I think our chapter director was the first to get one - he's a big guy with a really bad back who has gone through quite a few chairs. I think the group is up to 10 or 12 now. They seem to be well made and the fabric seems to be a bit heavier than a standard bag chair. They open and fold-up easily (pull/push the fabric, not the frame) but they are a bit bulkier (longer) than a standard bag chair - we have to put the back set down in our 2009 Subaru Forester to accommodate them. Our cup holder is a bit small - a can/bottle fits just fine but some travel cups (like Hydroflask or Yeti) might be a bit too fat. Solo cups fit, but the way the cup holder hangs, the contents can spill when the cup is full. At least that's been our experience so far. It's attached to the chair with a screw (rather than a rivet) so it is possible to modify/replace. And the plastic feet sort of pivot, which is probably nice on uneven ground, but sometimes you have to make sure that they are flat - they sometimes want to flip up. Despite those minor quibbles, we really like them and find them to be very comfortable, even after a long time sitting. If you get a chance to try one out, I think you will be impressed - if you make it to CICO this year, you are sure to find quite a few.

Kevin and Ken & Peggy like this.
  9. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

Thank you for sharing. My wife has a bad back and I ordered one for her.

10. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Thanks - we'll be keeping an eye out for them on our travels and hope to get the chance to try one out!

11. RShep

RShep Novice

Amazon.com : Stylish Camping SL1204BLACK/FLAG Full Back Folding Director's Chair : Camping Chairs : Sports & Outdoors
    IMG_20180705_144250081.jpg
    My "bag" folding chairs broke at the front cross rivet as all of that design typically do and I replaced with these director chairs. The collapsible side table is a real convenience but with the cup holder being only 3" diameter you need to find the right coffee cups. The side pouches for holding phones, glasses and magazines is a convenience. Another plus is the base has a bar so all the weight is not on the 4 corners which protects my woven plastic outdoor rugs. Only have about 4 days of camping on these so longevity is unknown. Like the color options. Reviews mentioned failures from leaning/rocking the chairs on the back legs.

12. LiamSnow

LiamSnow Newbie

For bad back, why don't you try portable Massage Chairs? They are easy to carry and make you feel comfortable wherever you want. I was suffering from back pain as well and I love to travel. camping, hiking whatnot. Came across an article on portable massage chairs and I thought why not. bought the chair but could only go out camping once before the quarantine hit all of us.
    You guys might want to give this a try.

13. Steve Sanford

Steve Sanford Novice

Bruce O and Eve Crowley like this.
  14. Eve Crowley

Eve Crowley Newbie

We love our Nemo Stargazer luxury chairs too! They are the only chairs that we have found to be just as comfortable upright as they are reclined!

Bruce O likes this.
  15. M&L

M&L Ranger

Any of the various versions of "zero gravity" chairs. We got ours at Costco, since they seemed really robust. And they recline!

16. I'm a little late to the conversation, but here's our collection of sitting paraphernalia that has to work for a 6'4" 220 lb guy and a 5'2" princess. The primary consideration was compactness and small storage footprint, but not at the expense of comfort or versatility. It all fits easily in the front storage compartment, along with the wheel chocks, levellers, extension cord and all our other travel doo-dads. i.e. these 2 chairs, 2 stools and table surprisingly only take up less than half of the compartment.

This provides a decent sitting height despite it's compact design; low sitting height is the downside of some of Alite Design's other smaller and lighter offerings: Gear Review: Calpine Chair (Alite Designs)

The Kermit is very comfortable, but a bit finicky to put together. I added their leg extensions to bring the height up a bit so it wasn't so beach-chair'ish: Kermit Chair Company | The Original Touring Chair | Wood Camping Chair Quality product and well engineered.

I keep 2 tripod stools available for additional seating (or as alluded to above, as a footstool):
    TravelChair Slacker Chair Folding Tripod Camp Stool Review
    I also find the stool invaluable for being able to lean forward to do some fireside cooking, which is difficult with the recliner style of chairs.

I keep a couple 12x16 pieces of closed cell foam for the inevitable wet picnic table bench seat.

This is the latest addition which is a side table that weighs only 21 oz but can support over 100 lbs. Good for around the campfire when the trailer and/or picnic table are too far away::Table One

And lets not forget the hammock.

17. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

I love my Kermit Chair! I bought it from him at a motorcycle rally many years ago. Unfortunately, Kermit is no longer with us; but his chair lives on!

18. V&T: I will make sure that I raise a glass to the founder, then, the next time I plop my behind in it.

I was aware these chairs hold a special place in the hearts of our two-wheeled camping brethren, though I really can't quite comprehend the whole motorcycle touring pedigree. It's small when folded, but I know that I would have a tough time fitting this in amongst everything else in my saddlebags and cases. I think they work (and transport) better within the Teardrop community. But I guess we're not that large a market.

However, there's something about sitting in a wooden chair, when you're in the woods, burning wood, that has the upper hand over a cold metal frame.

19. SallyCamper

SallyCamper Newbie

I love my zero gravity recliner. It`s Phi Villa Oversize (#1 in this review), I`ve being used it for 3 years. I like sitting in it while reading or surfing the net, it`s so comfortable:rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  20. Vince G

Vince G Novice

Zero gravity recliner