Eureka! Northern Breeze Screenhouse

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by mcjimjam, Jun 4, 2010.

1. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

I may have mentioned this before, but we got this screenhouse for a steal, through one our son's business connections. It is a 12x12, weighs under 30 lbs. and kept us dry in a 6 hour deluge.
    [​IMG]

Room for tables, chairs, opening the hatch, and moving around.
    [​IMG]

Sides roll down for cold or inclement weather
    [​IMG]

Enough room to roll the whole teardrop underneath!
    [​IMG]

After a couple of uses, we found this works best: awning extended over doors keeps us dry in the rain. In cold weather, we clipped vinyl shower curtains across the opening on each side of trailer, and kept nice and toasty with our Mr.Heater Big Buddy!
    [​IMG]

It took some practice, learning to set it up efficiently, and it helps to have two sets of hands. So far, it has been a worthwhile investment.

2. Steve & Ellen

Steve & Ellen Novice

If anyone is interested, I found the Northern Breeze athttps://www.sunnysports.com for $357...free shipping. I looked at a bunch of them and this one stayed on top. The reviews, from wherever I could find them, were very good. Thought someone might like this price....Cabelas was $399.99 plus $27.95 shipping.
    Steve

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  3. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Our Northern Breeze screen tent came and we found it quite easy to put up and much easier for us seniors to handle than the Easy Up. We did put the clips on before we stood it up and that also worked well. We probably will only use it for rain or serious bugs as it is nice to be in the wide open. Pat

4. Steve & Ellen

Steve & Ellen Novice

Pat, Ours should be here tomorrow. My wife needs to rest alot of the day. This will allow her to be outdoors with less bugs and the chihuahua can't roam alone. He hates the leash. I like the idea about having sides we can lower. Maybe due to weather or maybe due to absence from the site for a spell.
    Steve

5. Do all the sides with the bug screen open up too, so it is fully accessible from all sides?

6. mcjimjam

Two sides have zippers, and two don't. Still a keeper though!

7. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Jorge,
    2 of the sides do not open up but the way we put ours over our tear (just short of where the fan goes) and centered we had access on the front or galley side and from inside we could slip out either side right by the tear doors. The screens have to be pulled back a ways (boy I don't know how to explain this)so they don't hang all the way to the ground.
    We love ous.

8. Steve & Ellen

Steve & Ellen Novice

Looks like you got good info on the Northern Breeze. We have used ours once. I don't want to leave home without it. It works well as a changing room and a great place to store stuff out of the weather. Check the above post for where we got ours. In a pinch some campers could use it to sleep in.

9. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Curious how it handles strong wind? I love the idea of this, especially with the cold and wet we have 9 months of the year. We also plan to take the 560 to the ski area to sleep in, so this might give me incentive to cook if I am more protected. My husband has an Easy Up he takes to the track when he is racing, but it doesn't have sides, and I am thinking one that does is a big plus. Also curious, do you think I could get away with not having the side tent if we had one of these? We haven't ordered one yet, but have been considering it.

10. mcjimjam

Sarah-
    Our Northern Breeze has held up well in windy conditions, as long as you use guy wires all around. refer to our earlier post,(#1699 in the photo gallery on 6/5/10) with a review from another owner. She speaks of windy conditions:

Here is a "review" from Hiker Chick, that we found on the Teardrop and Tiny Travel Trailer Forum:
    She also has photos which I can't get to post on here. I would love to see how she sets it up single handedly, maybe we could learn something new!

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewtop...ze+screen+house

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:34 pm Post subject:
    I have 15 years of experience with Eureka screenrooms: the earlier Breezeway design and the Northern Breeze for the past few years. I can't say enough good about them. Love the Northern Breeze's versatility with all four walls capable of being used as awnings or rolled up. The optional snap-in floor is worthwhile, too.

It's a great value.

I rate them both five stars for ease of setting up (shock-corded 1" aluminum poles with a simple and sturdy four-way hub where the poles connect) and sturdiness (both of mine have endured horrendous thunderstorms and the Northern Breeze withstood tropical storm force winds at Big Meadows-SNP while one of my tent's poles snapped.

I guy out each corner at least two ways and three if storms are in the forecast. I can put the Northern Breeze up myself in 15 minutes, 10 minutes with help.

The noseeum netting is fragile and the nylon is not going to be as tough as the Springbar.

Bought mine at Campmor:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/CAMO...northern+breeze

I have not used the Northern Breeze in conjunction with the teardrop galley (I don't have a kitchen in mine).

These pics were taken at Big Meadows in campsites E-187 and E-178.

We don't own a side tent for our 550. We have found that with the awning spread out over the top of the camper, it provides shelter from rain while getting out of both doors. There is also room on each side to get into the screen house, and if the sides are down, there is plenty of privacy. In really cold weather, we clipped vinyl shower curtains across the openings on each side, cranked up our Mr Buddy heater, and we were toasty warm! The Northern Breeze is also roomy enough to pull most of a 550 underneath, and still have room to function in the kitchen. I hope this helps in your decision! jamie

11. Steve & Ellen

Steve & Ellen Novice

I second the use of guy lines. I would think the shelter would do well in the wind with guys tied out. You might check other outlets and check their reviews. Everything I remember was very good.

Steve

12. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Thanks for getting back to us. We will definitely keep it in mind. We have a nearly 3 year old and I feel like this would also give him some protected playspace, which is appealing. I wasn't sure how strong the poles were. We have had tent poles break in storms, so that was what I was most worried about, especially since we would not be seeing it before purchase. Really appreciate the suggestion! We will be looking for more of them as we get closer to delivery!

Cheers!

13. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Sarah,
    we have a side tent and the Northern Breeze. We did not feel a need for the side tent when we had the Northern Breeze up but if I was camping in perfect weather - light on bugs, no rain and had a shady spot -- I think I would use the side tent so that we would have the benifit of being in the wide open. That being said the Northern Breeze does open up completely on 2 sides. The side tent is small so packing it is easy and its there if we prefer it.

14. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member