Electric Folding Bikes

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Shearwater, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Shearwater

Shearwater Newbie

Has anyone looked into or actually purchased an electric bike specifically to bring camping? Now that our teardrop is in storage for the winter I'm starting to think about the 2019 season. A friend here in St Paul recently purchased an e-bike and that got me to thinking about getting one. I'm particularly interested in folding, 20" fat tire models. It looks like you can get a very well equipped model in the $1300-$1700 range. I know that when we camp, we bring our bikes ONLY if the terrain isn't too hilly. Of course hilly terrain can make for more interesting camping so we end up leaving the bikes home about half the time. Aside from the price, the only really downside I can see is weight. As opposed to urban style folding bikes, these fat tire models are fairly heavy, 55 to 60 pounds or so. Because they fold, we would carry them in our tow vehicle, not on a rack. Any thoughts out there?

2. Gypsy

Gypsy Junior Ranger Donating Member

Nearly been run-over several times in state parks and rail-trail paths by people using e-bikes. People in unfamiliar terrain going way too fast and not paying attention to what they are doing. That is the real downside.

3. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

It occurs to me that is more of a people problem than a bike problem.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    dustinp and Greg & Shelly like this.
  4. Shearwater

Shearwater Newbie

Good point about out of control riders. Our plan would be to ride on dedicated bike trails and use the pedal assist feature of the electric motor. We still want the exercise that comes with cycling but we would also like to see more of the parks we visit.

5. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

I've been interested in electric bikes for the past couple of years. I think I'll ride more if I can hit the hills without difficulty. Please report back how it goes.

6. lorieandkeith

lorieandkeith Novice

I would try a fat tire bike, even if it isn't what you want, before you order. When I am home my bicycle is my vehicle for commuting and virtually all transportation. I constantly see bicyclists with fat tire bikes. I am surprised to see how much they have to gear down because of the rolling resistance and weight. That is, big strong guy has to gear down like as if it is a hill to ride on flat terrain. I would get a folding bike, but not a fat tire model.

I know there has got to be a good reason that you are considering a fat tire bike, and as we know, they are a huge thing right now. So I am sure you have your reasons...

7. Shearwater

Shearwater Newbie

Thanks, we are considering regular size tire, folding electrics as well. Yeah, part of the interest in a fat tire is the cool factor, but I know they are heavier and would have a shorter range. Most of our camp riding is on paved bike trails and at our age, we’re unlikely to get off trail very much. It probably comes down to is this a toy or a bike we can use all the time.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  8. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

I recently purchased a hybrid bike (dual purpose) and haven’t regretted it. Handles pavement and off-road equally well. Several years ago, we bought a couple of folding bikes. Found them to be limited in handling different types of terrain; not to mention they weren’t exactly light in weight and took-up space inside the tow vehicle.

9. lorieandkeith

lorieandkeith Novice

I thought of something else. I thought about a folding bike for a really long time. We do long hauls, and putting the bike on top of the car really has some downsides, particularly with salt and sand and winter driving.

So I looked and looked at folding bikes. But I decided against it because of the handle bars. I ride a bike with a drop handlebar. There are many hand positions, and your left hand points to 2 o'clock, and your right hand points to 10 oclock, which is pretty natural. Almost all of the folding bikes have flat handle bars, which causes both of your wrists to contort to 12 o'clock. It is less ergonomic and much more painful. I am told of one company that makes custom folding bikes that will do a drop handle bar. But the bikes are a fortune - maybe $8k. In the end, I made a bike rack. I will see if I can find a picture of it - I posted it awhile ago.

10. lorieandkeith

lorieandkeith Novice

11. Henry

Henry Novice

12. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

I realize this is a 2 year old thread but thought I would offer my $0.02 since I believe bikes and camping always go together. ;-)

I've been a road cyclist for the last 20 years. I own expensive bikes, none of which I would want to take camping. A couple of years ago I purchased a $400 folding bike and couldn't be happier. It fits in my car even with all my gear and is more than adequate for cruising around camp sites and/or local roads/trails. No, I don't take it on 20 or 30 mile rides, but it has been the perfect compromise between performance and convenience. I highly recommend this as a low cost option to do some exploring. Oh, and it only weighs 24 lbs. Very lightweight for what it is.

[​IMG]

LisaNKevin likes this.