Electric Brakes Electric Brakes: Yes Or No?

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by Drenu, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Drenu

Drenu Newbie

Hi, all. First post here!

We placed an order for a 550 Ultra a couple months ago and are on track for an April completion. We sorted through all the options, but I've recently started to second guess the option to leave off the electric brakes. We're in Arizona and they're not required by law. We'll be pulling with a BMW X3 and I have little doubt in the ability of the vehicle brakes to handle the trailer. At the same time, I'm wondering if adding the brakes will just be the better long term choice-- save some wear & tear on the car, make driving easier, etc.

I'm curious to hear other's opinions on this.

Drew

2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Hi and welcome to the forum! Our 550 Ultra does not have the electric brakes - we bought ours used so didn't have a choice - and pull it with a large SUV. We have no trouble stopping, but if I could I'd get a trailer with them - for the reason you mentioned; saving wear and tear on the car - and overall better braking power. But I don't feel at all 'unsafe' without them.

3. Lh303

Lh303 Novice

Hi Drew and welcome aboard, we ordered our 550 Ultra at about the same time you did but in 2011, we picked ours up the first week of May 2011. We pull our 550 with a Toyota Rav4 6 Cyl. running about 270HP. Most of our travels take us throughout New Mexico, Arizona, and Colorado. We do not have electric brakes and even though we travel through a lot of mountainous country, I have not felt the need for them. Going downhill I always shift into a lower gear and rarely have need for brakes. I suppose that having brakes would prolong the life of your pads but like Ken states I do not feel unsafe either. Oh by the way I do use the brakes when I need to come to a complete stop just in case you were wondering.
    Leo

4. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I have started pulling our 560 with my BMW 325XI Sportwagon (we also tow with my husband's FJ Cruiser). I do have the electric brakes, and with our mountains out here, I am happy to have the peace of mind and hope to reduce the wear on the car.

People in the past have suggested not just considering where you live, but places you are planning to travel to, in making this decision. Also, if you ever go with a different tow vehicle in the future, that could be a factor. It is all personal preference.

Good luck, congrats, and welcome to the forum!

5. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

Yes. We did not get them and the Tacoma handled it just fine. Then we switched TV. The brakes on the Ford are fine for the Ford, but not the tear too. Most cars are designed that way. Now I have to drive 1/4 mile more ahead than I used to drive. Good panic stops are no longer an option and some stop signs come up too damn fast.

With luck your tear will change TV's in the future. Having brakes will expand your options. In the meantime you will be safer and the only downside is the $. Go for it and cry only once. You will get it back at sell time.

Hilditch

6. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Hi Drew and Renu good luck and welcome to the forum. We also have a 550 and we use a Chevy Malibu V6 as a tow vehicle and we have electric brakes better to be safe than sorry. Steve :)

7. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

Electric brakes. Old balloon pilot saying, better to be down here wishing you were up there, rather than up there in the sky wishing you were on the ground. You won't miss the brakes until you need them. They will save on the vehicle wear and tear but probably not to the cost of buying the brakes.

8. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

Hi, Drew. We tow our 550 with a 2 wheel drive Rav4. We went with the brakes and are really glad we did.

Kathy

9. Drenu

Drenu Newbie

Hey all-
    Thanks for your responses. Very helpful. I think the old adage holds true- better safe than sorry.
    We can't wait to pick up our tear drop! Only 3 months and 30 hours of driving away....
    Renu

10. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Drew and Renu you made the right choice. Steve :)

11. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

Renu

Seriously you need to get a faster pair of horses if its going to take you 3 months to drive to factory. Better yet get one of those horseless carriage thingy's I've been hearing about. :)

Enjoy you new ride. I'm looking forward to mine in September.

Gary

12. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Renu,

Welcome and congrats on your choice! Jim and I have a 550. We did not go for the break option and as we drive a 4WD Tacoma, we haven't had any problems....yet. But I still have that little voice whispering, "Better safe than sorry".

Sue

13. Drenu

Drenu Newbie

You got me, Gary. And here I thought it was my calling in life to nitpick words. :)
    You guys are really making Drew and I feel welcome. Thanks again-

14. starlight

starlight Novice

Welcome, Drew and Renu! We opted for brakes--but we are in California. My family has a long history of braking down on inclines (enough said), we have a lighter tow vehicle, and we are legally required to have it if the trailer weighed in over 1500. Though we don't plan on packing that much in, it's nice to be able to use it for cargo when needed. Best of luck!
    --Stelena

15. rushthecat

rushthecat Novice

Sounds like the jury is in on the electric brakes. We're preparing to order a 550 or 560 and wondered about the brakes. They'll make it to the order sheet.
    However, what about the parking brake. Has anyone found that that's a necessity or can you throw chocks under the wheels before the tear rolls down a hill somewhere? I guess just leave it hitched until it's chocked???
    This is my first post so be gentle.
    Mike

16. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

Thats what we do leave it hitched until its chocked and never had a problem. Steve :)

17. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Mike,

I love the parking brake. I am maneuvering the trailer by myself. I use the parking brake to control the trailer on slight downward slopes As an example, I was pushing the trailer into a spot that had a slight downward slope. I would let the trailer roll a bit and then apply the brake to control speed.

I am not very good at backing up yet so I am not sure what I will do if there is an upward slope. Developing this skill is my goal for this year.

I still chock the wheels when stationary.

18. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Mike, we don't have the hand brake and have not missed it. It seems that if there's 2 people, one can handle a wheel chock if necessary while the other navigates the trailer. A one person operation could be a different story.

19. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Jenn,

There is a grocery store that went out of business just up the road. Next time I bring the camper home, I will probably stop there and practice. I think I just need to get a sense of what happens when the wheel turns without the pressure of having to actually get the camper into a spot.

20. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

We have the brakes but not the hand brake. I'm sure it would have been nice, but I couldn't justify coughing up $800 for it when a set of wheel chocks would do.