Eagle Watching on the Mississippi River

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ken & Peggy, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Hope everbody's New Year is going well - we took a ride to LeClaire, Iowa over the weekend to watch eagles. Something we've not done before, it was amazing to see eagles so close.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

We sawthem when we were at CICO, we opened our door and they were in the tree that would have been between your site and ours. Jay was exstatic. She loves the raptors.

3. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Amazing photos! Thanks for sharing! They are incredible birds, and to think Ben Franklin wanted our national bird to be the turkey! I am glad that was over-ruled.

4. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Incredible photos. What was going on in the third one? Is that a juvenile?

5. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Ken,

Nice photography. I saw an eagle Sunday near Cannon Falls, Min enjoying a deer carcas.

Did you stop in at Antique Archeology while in LeClaire?

Jean

6. Ken & Peggy

Thanks Sarah. It's funny that you mentioned the whole turkey issue - I was thinking the same thing as I was looking at these birds, that penetrating look is incredible.

7. Ken & Peggy

Thanks Evan. Those are both juveniles, and they're fighting over a fish - the upper bird has it in it's talons. Sometimes there'd be 2 or 3 birds chasing the bird that had a fish.

8. Ken & Peggy

Thanks Jean, it was amazing to see them so close. I didn't make it into the town, but Peggy did while I was shooting. It was Sunday and most places in town were closed. But she did have a nice conversation with one of the guys from 'American Pickers', who is from LeClaire. She didn't know who he was (and I wouldn't have recognized him either), and after he left, the store clerk did one of those 'Do you know who that was?" It sounds like a nice town to visit again when things are open.

9. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

Real nice shots Ken.

Speaking of turkeys, we had a herd of adult males - 3' tall with their heads up - in the front yard yesterday. When asked about dinner, for some reason Susan wanted turkey so we had the last of Thanksgiving out of the freezer. Ben was a practical man and turkeys sure do taste good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those guys were looking good. Speaking of herds, we had a heard of bears in the back yard last summer. After 10 years here I think the critters are finally getting to accept the fact we are here to stay! Tis good, cause we love 'em.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hilditch