Down the long dusty road - How to keep dust out

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by ghaynes, Oct 7, 2012.

1. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

Lots of dirt roads out here in back country Colorado. Other than I now have a dust ball for a 560 how do I keep the dust out of the inside. Found fine dust on the ledges and when I tapped the cover by the heater vents got a puff of dust.

Those that hit back roads or did the Alaska road trip, did you do anything special to cover any openings like the door vents, furnace vents, A/C unit? If so what did you use?

2. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Normally, we drive with the windows and vent open a crack, but on dirt roads we close everything down tight. However, this doesn't keep all of the dust out.

3. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

Jenn this is nothing. I could be sleeping in my tent ;)

I saw the water protector. Cary suggested until they're ready put a bit of electrical tape over them. Got my tape ready to go.

Almost certain it is the heater system. Back roads are so dry that I have hitntwoncarwashes today and don't know why I a wasting my money. Telluride doesn't have but a single automatic car wash so I couldn't spray off the CI. Maybe tomorrow in Silverton or Durango.

Currently 37.88547. N108.05854W

4. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Sounds like US Rte. 550 is part of your itinerary? We spent a week camped at Ridgeway SP last year in the spring - I can imagine how beautiful that whole stretch must be in the fall.

5. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

Yes the whole Uncompaghre region. But I am about 2 weeks to late as most trees have lost their leaves.

If you would like to see photos of the fall see the SW Colorado section of my website www.reflectionsimaging.com.