Double Cut Keys?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Randy, May 4, 2015.

1. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Anyone know if it possible to get the cabin, galley and accessory door keys "double cut" so that it doesn't matter which way they are inserted?

Thanks, Randy

2. Randy

For the record I went to locksmith and it can't be done. I'm always fumbling trying to figure out which way the keys go in, in fact To make it worse think the cabin doors go in opposite directions from each other!

3. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Huh?
    Maybe the keys have changed, but I was able to get several sets made... (re-reading, they probably are different... for a 560)

Also, I always looked at the keys with the rough top like Screens on the doors...

The smooth top as the smooth hatch and bigger...

Keys rough key par to the short side of the door handles or the reverse, but both the same way on each side..

That was for a 2008 550, new ones might be different, and I was able to get them duplicated, no problem at a Fred Meyers up here, any big store with a key thing should be able to do it..

I did use the little "Paint Pens" or a Scripto Perm marker - doesn't stay on as well, or the small colored electrical tapes to mark both the key and the handle on how to put them in to open. That might help..

Those double keys things are a PITA to get duplicated, due to the blanks not carried normally.

4. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

Somehow I now have in my head "stealth Jenn strikes again" ... where a teardropper leaves on a hike, locks everything up. and upon their return in their galley is something odd--like a large rock.

5. Rick  Sarah

Rick Sarah Novice

Our pop-up key would open any other pop-up manufactured by the same company. Is that how CIs are? Just I case anyone is interested, besides us, 12 days until we get our 560.

6. Randy

I figured out today that it was label up for both door and the galley. For the accessory door key, I marked the up ide with a sharpie. First world problems!

7. birder526

birder526 Novice

The flip-flopping of the cabin door keys threw me and Michael off and we still get all confused! I am having some issues with my key not working in either lock at times. Still working on this!

8. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

Be aware that there are currently at least two types of cabin door handles, and that they use different styles of keys. The Ultras (as well as optional on other models) have the swoopy old Ford style handles where the standard handles are straight. There may have been other handles on earlier builds.

9. Mark & Casandra

Mark & Casandra Junior Ranger

Ok, curiosity got the better of this cat, so I got the camper keys and went to check out what everyone is talking about....esp. Frank. I've had my share of fumbling with the keys to get it right but just chalked it up to not using them on a regular basis enough to keep it straight. I figured out the pattern (thanks Frank!).....but now the problem is, I can't get the passenger side cabin door to lock no matter how much wiggling I do with the door handle. Never had this happen before!

10. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

Push the door in hard by the handle. The insulation around the door often keeps it from clicking all the way into place. You are probably already doing this but just thought a reminder might help.

11. GhostOrchid

GhostOrchid Junior Ranger

Silicone spray. Get a can with one of those little straws that you can use to spray it directly into the lock. Road gunk can work its way in there, so you have to spray and play (with the lock) till it operates.

DO NOT USE WD-40. REPEAT: DO NOT USE WD-40. (It can gum up in colder weather).

After a run back from the Florida Gulf after New Years through some really crappy weather and road conditions, both locks to the FSB and to one of the cabin doors on the Toad were seized solid. Took a couple of days of spray and play to open them up. We now take the silicone spray along with us and are more pro-active in spraying the locks before long hauls.

LisaNKevin likes this.
  12. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Yes, exactly as Ghost Orchid said. If you have driven in the rain for any distance the locks will get very sticky as Ghost Orchid ran into. The silicone spray helps also in working as a water repellent to keep the rain water out of the locks. We spray them up twice at the factory before they leave but it doesn't take all that many days of driving in nasty weather to wash the silicone out.

Also, do not use graphite powder in the locks. When mixed with dirty road spray water it becomes like glue to the locks.

Cary

13. michaelo

michaelo Novice

During our orientation at Camp-Inn Marty strongly suggested that we keep the locks lubed up with a graphite in fluid lubricant. We found this stuff in a run of the mill hardware store.

[​IMG]

Used the stuff on Dewey and now Dizzy, locks always worked great.

Michael

14. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Michael,

If you use the graphite (which is indeed a good idea) it has to be in the fluid form like you show. It is the powder stuff that makes the mess. That looks like it is good stuff right there.

Cary

15. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

Yep, I realize I'm replying to a very old post.

FYI, for those of you in icy winter conditions that have experience a frozen (due to rain, snow, sleet, etc) lock, is to heat up your key with a lighter. Frequently, the heat from the key is more than enough to melt the ice in the lock.

I've never smoked a day in my life, but as an avid camper && hiker, I always have (3) ways to make fire with me at most times.

Cary Winch likes this.