Dometic 12 V Not Working Properly

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Jean W, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

I have the Dometic CF-35 purchased from another retailer during a Thanksgiving sale. Resides in the back of the car plugged into a always hot 12 volt on the road and 110 while in camp.

During the very hot weekend of July 14 the 12 volt decided not to work. Yet, the 110 worked while in camp.

The fuse on the cord looks good and the cord works fine when tested at Radio Shack. The 12 volt car receptor works to charge cell phone and other devices, so thus appears to be an issue with the fridge itself.

So has anyone had any such experience with a Dometic and dealing with the corporation?

The major box retailer referred me to the manufacturer.

Jean

2. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Jean,

Craig said it sounds like the circuit board overheated.

When you come in tomorrow, ask Cary about returning it to Dometic. He usually deals with them, so would be able to give you insight on sending it back.

:cool:

3. Bunni

Bunni Novice

Jean,

We had the same thing happen to us. There is a fuse in the dc power cord at the connector. Check to see if the fuse has blown. You will need small phillips head screw driver to take the connector a part. If that's the problem its an easy but hard fix. Replacing the fuse is easy finding the replacement was a challenge. No one we could find carries them ( Not; radio shack, RV Store, Auto zone, Big box HW stores) We had to order them on line. If you have any questions let me know.
    Benn

Update. When we were at CI in June I left a few spare fuses with Cary. You can check the fuse before the call to dometic.

4. Jean W

Thanks Betsey.

Jean

5. Jean W

Monday while I was at Camp Inn, no one there could figure out what was wrong with the cooler, contacted Dometic customer service line.
    Explained issue, was referred to a local authorized repair center.

Called the number, answered by a different business name, thought I might have misdialed. Recalled number again, same response. Googled supposibly authorized repair center name, hmmm, same number. During second phone call, person who speaks English as a second language stated they had the number for over 10 years. Thanked them for assistance.

Called Dometic customer service number again, each call takes about 15 to 20 minutes to work way thru the waiting line. Explained first suggested repair center no longer in business. Referred to a local RV dealer.

Called them, explained cooler wasn't working. Even though I stated they were an authorized repair center, he suggested I contact major retailer where product purchased. The large box retailer had referred me to Dometic since product in warrenty.

Grumbled, waited a while and called RV dealer again. Started conversation that call was to arrange Dometic warranty work. No mention where product was purchased. First, no one had an idea what a CF-35 is. Explained. OH, I guess we can repair. Then they said, well, large unit repairs are out 3 days to make a reservation. Again explained, no it is not a camper, but a cooler that I can carry. Finally the scheduler understood, and I brought the product in on Tuesday.

While checking in, service department, had never seen or heard of the CF-35. Now I feel like saying a few choice words. Anyway, explained works on 110 not 12 volt. Provided copy of original purchase receipt. Repair center would call when fixed. Friday the cooler was fixed.

Service counter knew who I was when I walked in! Manager asked a few questions. Basically no one had seen one of them before.
    Q:There isn't much space inside there
    A: Same amount of space compared to a traditional cooler full of ice and weighs less when full. (I have a difficult time moving ice cooler). Explained that with the CF-35 I do not have to place meat inside a tupperware container so ice does not become contaminated. No draining of water, and running to purchace ice.

Service manager explained to delivery runner detailed explanation of what the CF-35 looks like. He carried to my car explaining he had never seen one of these.

Saturday tested unit all day. Plugged into 12 volt and it ran all day.

Problem was the ground wire solder came loose from back of 12 volt plug in. Fixed, put back together and tested.

So, large RV dealers do not know everything compared to teardrop world!

6. Goodness, Jean! Those are the kind of situations where I have to do a lot of "self-talk" to avoid having my blood pressure go through the roof. I'm glad you finally got it fixed; too bad the manufacturer gave you such a run around before you were able to get results.