DO (dutch oven)

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Tom C, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Tom C

Tom C Newbie

One of the first things newby's to the teardrop scene need get is a Cast Iron Dutch oven. Most everyone at TD gatherings cook in a Dutch. Not only does the food taste better, but it's a fun way to prepare some great meals. I have 5 DO's now but only carry 2 at any given event. Depends on what I'm cooking as to which one I take along. ;)
    Tom

2. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Re: DO

While waiting for our build we dropped by the year's last TD gathering in our area. Everybody was cooking in them - but we don't know anything about them yet - I didn't know what you meant by a 'DO' at first. Is there one type in particular you could recommend as a starter?

3. Tom C

Tom C Newbie

Evan:
    Lodge makes a good line of DO'S I'd start with a 12" camp Dutch. It's a good starter size. The kind with 3 short little legs and a rimmed lid. You'll discover they are easy to cook with and turn out wonderful meals and desserts. You can stack them and make your meal and a cobbler at the same time. Check your antique stores you might get lucky. Go to www.camp-cook.com and you'll learn everything you need to know about them.
    Tom

4. Deb

Deb Novice

Lodge does make the best, but be sure to get it already seasoned. It'll save you a lot of time and efort. I think that most come seasoned now anyway.

5. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

Walmart sells the Lodge 6 qt./12" camp dutch oven for under $50 in their sporting goods section.

6. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Anyone here ever hear of a Volcano stove? It comes with a BDO(Big Dutch Oven) and you can stack up to five DO's and use only 12-14 charcoal briquets total to cook with. It's awesome! We had one a few years back but didn't use it much at the time, so we sold it. Now I wish I had it for camping. You can even set it on top of your picnic table and cook there. You can avoid building a campfire, buying or bringing wood and get the same DO flavor!

7. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

As stated in my intro, I like to camp cook. My utensil of choice is the Cast Iron camp Dutch oven. One of my pleasures is attending DOG's (Dutch Oven Gathering), so I haul some iron, plus all the fixins. When at the DOG I will use my 12 in ovens, and when cooking for wife and I I use my 10" down to my 6" ovens.
    So offered up in a post above it was suggested a 12" pot. My advise is What are ya going to use it for? Feeding several people or just a couple of people. If just a couple I recomend nothing bigger than a 10". But at least 2 pot as well. One for the dish being prepared and the other for some biscuits or some bread. Yup bread. It is delicious.

[​IMG]

8. Re: DO

We do alot of cooking in our DO's but also like to use our
    Cobb Cooker....
    http://www.cobbamerica.com
    It can cook a whole chicken with about 8 charco briquettes.

Just depends on where we are and what we want to cook.

tina

9. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

We just bought a 12" Lodge Logic and are going to start cooking up our first dishes in it. I guess that will make us DO people!

10. Oysterpot

B4 you use it give it a good scrubbing and season it a couple of times. You want your oven or device you are seasoning it in about 475F minimum(not 350). Go to any of the DO cooking sites, and read up on the process. Once you do, you will be very happy with your DO.

11. Re: DO

HUGE fan of the volcano. We use it around the house more than camping. Luckily we live in a rural location so it is camping everyday here! It didn't come with a dutch oven, but use one here. Most of the time the food is grilled right over the briguets with just a little wood for flavor or on wooden planks soaked... no DO required even. Nice and safe even when the wind is blowing and fire danger is high. When we set up for a quick trip weekend, we might have to bring it along! Love to know there is someone out there who knows the volcano! :)

12. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Hey yeah MarknCyn! I bet you could go online and google volcano stove and see some other options. We could stack up to five DO's on top with briquets on the top lid and cook a whole meal - not that we DID, but could! I think the most I did was 3...

13. Oysterpot

Well where is the report on the 1st cook? We won't be critical, just helpful.

14. Oysterpot

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  15. Oysterpot

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  16. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

George, you are the DO MAN! I just got an email from REI letting me know my new 10" Lodge has shipped, so it won't be long now.

17. Oysterpot

Better put in another order for a second one. Take a look at KA TOM I think it is WWW.KATOM.com For some reason their prices are considerably lower than everyone elses.

18. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Those are great prices, George. I got mine on sale at REI for the same price, but if I need to buy another one I'll be getting it at katom.com .
    Thanks.

Calvin & Jane likes this.
  19. Re: DO

Hey all,
    I've been using a few Cast Iron Skillets & DO for most of my cooking,along with a portable Grill.
    [​IMG]
    Skillets w/lids" & " DO (Wagner 1267E unk #?: 9" dia x 4" Deep,top photo)
    [​IMG]
    #8 Skillet / #8 Fryer / #9 Skillet / # 10 DO

All were rusty " Swapmeet/ Flea Market Finds " ($5-$20),that needed a little cleaning & reseasoning,to look almost like new!

[​IMG]
    Table Top Propane Grill.
    L.M.

20. Re: DO

I've deleted most of my cooking pic's, but here's one of a #6 Griswold skillet in use.

[​IMG]
    Sugar
    [​IMG]
    Liquidfied Sugar,cooled & left to set.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Cooked for approx 1 1/2 hour,in a water bath.

[​IMG]

FLAN
    Start by Preheating Oven to 350 degrees.
    ¾ cups sugar
    3 eggs w/yolks
    2+ tsp Vanilla
    One 14 ounce can of Sweetened condense milk
    1 ¾ cups milk
    2+ ounces cream cheese
    Mix/Blend very,very well.

I posted this a few months ago on another forum. It's just an example on whats possible,using some old " Black Irons ". I'm just a " Novice " @ this point.. !

L.M.