Deadbolt trailer locks recommendation

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by adrianneross, Jul 30, 2014.

1. adrianneross

adrianneross Junior Ranger Donating Member

I don’t know much about trailer locks, but I like to buy Made in USA products whenever possible so I kept coming back to the CT Johnson/Deadbolt brand. They’re not sold locally so I finally ordered a set from Camping World. I really like them (so far) and I thought I’d tell you about them:

I bought the hitch and coupler (dogbone?) locks as a set so they are keyed alike - which is nice because holy cow, we’ve got a lot of keys! Model # RHC32. The hitch lock diameter is 5/8” and fits 2” X 2” class 3 & 4 receiver-style hitches. The trailer lock fits 1/4” diameter lever style couplers with a 1/2” span. Comes with 2 keys. I paid $22.64.

To lock: Pop open the key cover & insert the key. Place the key housing against the pin and engage the slot. While holding the key, screw the pin clockwise 2 or 3 revolutions or until it stops. This will put the key housing onto the pin. Remove the key (key removes every quarter-turn).

To unlock: Pop open the key cover & insert the key. Screw the pin counter-clockwise 2 or 3 revolutions or until the key section separates from the pin.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/hitch-and-trailer-lock-set-5-inch-opening/56815

I also bought a “Blockhead” trailer coupler lock. Model # TCL1-AS which fits 1 7/8” & 2” flat-tip couplers, max width 3 3/4”. Comes with 2 keys. I paid $24.99.

To lock: Slide the lock over the coupler. Lift [push up] the pin. Push in the lock mechanism.

To unlock: Insert key and turn clockwise. Lock mechanism will pop out and pin will drop down. Slide lock off coupler.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/blockhead-trailer-coupler-locks-1-7-8-and-2-/49068

All four keys look very similar so it may be possible to have all locks keyed the same.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016