Dead battery

Discussion in 'Electrical & Mechanical Issues' started by Sweeney, May 17, 2014.

1. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Well, it appears the winter claimed another victim. My battery. Won't hold a charge.

What battery group fits the 560s?

2. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Sweeney,

Do you have the small or large battery? I'd guess it's probably the large one since your 560 is pretty new.

Without knowing much about batteries, I would advise you to replace it with the same model.

3. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Biggerr or smaller is a relative term :)

It looks about 10x5 or so...without actually taking it out I can't guess...I was hoping to pick one up on the way home....and it appears my toolset is still back at home. :/

I think it's a group 24. But I'm not entirely sure....

4. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Bigger = Car Battery.
    Smaller = Motorcycle Battery.

But, of course, Cary probably knows exactly what you have anyway...

5. Pick

Pick Novice

If the battery is an agm type like an Optima battery they just can't be drained all the way and work right after that. I have two in different cars and have to keep a charger on them when they are in storage. Learned the hard (expensive) way.
    MDP
    Mike & Denita

6. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

We keep ours on shore power when not in use. Everything was fine last fall, but I'm only seeing a max of 12.1 volt when charges while towing, and slightly lower than that on shore power. We did flatline the battery once when we first got it, but it's been fine since. Is almost exactly 2 years old....so a little young...but we did drain it to empty....our bad.

I just hope the charger itself isn't bad too, since I get a slightly higher charge odd the tow vehicle.

One of my few complains about the camper, is the status lights for the charger are impossible to see...and no ammeter.

I'll be pulling the battery and having it load tested today if I can.....we just got back from a gathering....I'm pooped!

7. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Darn it ... Battery checks out fine. It passed on their resting computer as well it takes a charge from other chargers...and tow vehicle. Just doing parts replacement testing, it definitely looks like a bad charger.

I have no idea where they hid it., but it's looking like one of those ugly part swap repairs :(. As it is, I don't see the charger or at least stickers that match the deltran I am expecting.

I've emailed Cary, well see what he hays to say :(

8. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

On my 2008 550, the charger sits under the trailer, behind the axle. Good luck with yours.

9. Dahava

Dahava Novice

Sweeney-
    As I look through the Troubleshooting Guide in the manual, one of the steps leads through the charger and checking the charger fuse. Might be a good thing to put eyes on that fuse if you haven't already.

10. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I've checked all the fuses...wheres the fuse on your 550? I may have missed one....but the fuse bank is fine, as are the ones in the inline holders....but none were specifically labeled charger....

11. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

My on board charger went bad after 6 months or so. I have a 550 with a hitch in back. You need to drop the hitch to get to it. Cut a couple wires and re hook up. An hour of so and your good to go. Dave

12. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

The charger does not have its own fuse. It does however run off the shore power GFI breaker which is in the kitchen 110v outlet. Try pushing the reset button on the GFI to see if that brings it to life.

13. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Well, it appears the charger itself has an internal problem. The ultra 560 charger is between the fresh and grey tanks. It's outside because of heat issues...

In our case, we had checked all the fuses, connections etc....and everything was fine....but the charger wouldn't light up....from there, it was easy...dead charger.

New one is on it's way, I'll let you know how the replacement goes....I don't expect it to be too hard...being a geek who isn't afraid of repairs makes this a little easier I'm sure. Can't wait to get it installed.

14. Pick

Pick Novice

I had hoped it was an overlooked fuse for you but at least you have tracked it down. will watch for posts on replacement proceedure.
    MDP

15. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

MDP, there is no fuse on the charger. If the electrical outlets in the gally are working it gets its power directly from those. The dead charger was confirmed by the fact that there were no status lights even though the rest of the camper has power.

Cary just sent me a new charger...we put it in and it works now.

The only objection I have (if you will) is that the installation of the new charter included cutting wires...never happy about that. But it did go in with only a few minor hitches...I'll elaborate on those after I hear back from Cary.

But we've got a working charger now..

16. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Ok...in summary I'm back to as good as new.

The long and the short of it is that the factory charger failed...not something that CampInn can be blamed for...3'rd party vendor failure...although I'd LOVE to know why.

Here's what I found:

1] No GFCI or circuit breakers tripped. The AC outlets work fine.
    2] There were no lights on the charger, which itself is located between the fresh and waste tanks. Not what I would consider the best location, but it works...its protected and though inconvenient it is serviceable.
    3] The instructions included, and the parts provided by Campinn were as always top quality. I'll leave the details instructions to Campinn experts for your specific model.
    4] We have the tow bar...so there is a minor difference and an extra part to remove. The receiver. Not terrible, 4 extra bolts and some patience...take your time, it will come out easily enough.
    5] When putting the receiver back on, the two studs (bolts) that hod the receiver in place have 2 hidden bolts. This was not documented and took a phone call to Campinn. I had to remove the cover under the sink, and the "floor" to the plumbing side storage...6 screws...no big deal at all. The 2 bolts that hold the receiver are easily accessible with an extra socket or wrench.

It took a few wrenches and about 2 hours to do. If I had it to do all over again, with what I know now...I could probably cut that time down by 30 minutes. Maybe a few more than that even.

Thanks Cary for your patience... :) I am once again, a happy camper.

-G

17. We have also had problems with our charger. Just got our 550 Classic in October and are already looking at a 2nd charger replacement. Camp Inn sent a replacement in March that we installed and it worked fine, for a short while. Now we are experiencing the same problem again... We keep our camper plugged in to shore power when not in use. Any insight into what caused yours to go bad?