Dead battery on new tow vehicle

Discussion in 'Electrical & Mechanical Issues' started by Jean W, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Traded the Dodge Dakota for a 2010 Subaru Outback. Arranged with dealer to have a class 2 hitch and 7 pin installed. Provided the wiring diagram and Cary's recent posting on wiring issues.

Took owner ship of car Friday evening. Have noticed a few times since that when turning ignition key car wouldn't start immediately a few times. Since car is new to me, thought I did something wrong.

Well, this evening, son wanted to take car for a test drive. He reported that I had a dead battery. Immediately I knew that the wiring was wrong. The battery wire is draining the battery. Car dealer had a local RV shop install wiring. Which is obviously wrong. Not to mention the 7 prong is placed in the most stupid spot, on the bottom edge of the hitch. This will have to be moved because it will be "accidently" removed in a snowbank or some low spot.

Emailed salesman with above information. Wiring will have to be redone.

How do I explain to the salesman that the wiring is wrong, when I don't know anything about wiring!

jean

2. Steve & Ellen

Steve & Ellen Novice

Jean, I think you stated the problem very well. He should at least check out the work at your request.
    Steve

3. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

yep, replying to a very old thread.

Jean W, how did this all finally play out for you? Hoping everything is working now.

Sweeney likes this.