Day Trips in the Guidon

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by Dahava, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Dahava

Dahava Novice

We've been taking out 560 out on day trips when we can't get multi-day campouts in. Recently, we've been out doing a little Tenkara traditional Japanese fly fishing in some of our favorite spots in Bandera & Concan, TX. The 560 looks great everywhere, but next to the water is where we love to see her!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Pick

Pick Novice

You are right it does look great. Did you catch dinner?
    MDP
    Mike & Denita

3. dhutchin

dhutchin Novice

What does that even mean? Were you fishing for sushi? Japanese beetle fly?

No, Reely.

4. Dahava

Dahava Novice

I wish! I caught a cold, though!!!

5. Dahava

Dahava Novice

Ha! We'll be heading up in the western NC area this summer looking to do some tenkara fishing, too! Tenkara is fishing with just a long pole, no reel (or reely, as you call it ;)) and a fly. I wish we could catch the little sushies...with the ghost pepper sauce already on them!

6. dhutchin

dhutchin Novice

High-tech cane-pole fishin'.

Y'all need to come see us if we aren't out galavanting around somewheres. Our little creek, the Roaring Fork has a few tiny native brownies but we leave 'em be. The Big Laurel and the New River are much better bets.

We're in the far NW corner of Ashe County which is as far NW as you can get. Plenty of parking spaces and plug-in if you need it.

Y'all come now, hear? For reel.

Jerry Kemp likes this.
  7. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Is that Roaring Fork invite open to all...?

8. dhutchin

dhutchin Novice

C'mon down Ken. I see you list backpacking as an interest. We're within 45 minutes of several trailheads on the AT. Very near Mt Rogers, etc.

9. Dahava

Dahava Novice

We may just take you up on that, AsheWolf! For reel!!! Appreciate the invite...but those trout may not!

10. Ken & Peggy

Nice! It was those browns that caught my ear as well...

11. jimtiffany

jimtiffany Novice

D&V, is that the Rio Frio? We'll be in central TX on our way home next month. After visiting family in San Antonio, we're planning to camp at Lost Maples. Do you have any other recommendations in the area?

12. Dahava

Dahava Novice

JimT-

There are actually two different rivers in these pics. The one where I'm fishing is the Guadalupe and the other is the Medina.

Lost Maples is nice, but the sites are kind of small. In that area, Garner State Park has nice size sites in the "new area" (our favorite is the Live Oak section of Garner, sites 344-354 back up closest to the river). Garner really is really beautiful. Here's a link to pics.

If you have any more Q's about the area, just let me know!

13. Pick

Pick Novice

D&V,
    Just thought I'd let you know I printed off the picture of your 560 It is about the best one I have come across to show the trailer. Now I'll pin it to my fridge as I count the weeks till ours goes into production.
    MDP

14. Dahava

Dahava Novice

That's great, MDP. Yeah, I had a tough time finding really good ones too. While we were waiting, I had a picture I took of Tim and Cindy's in Austin as my screen saver!

15. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

Isn't this waiting just sweet torture. I started with nine months to wait. I ordered the first week in July but want to pick it up myself so we postponed the build so it will be ready for me to pick up in April. When you look back on the time it seems to have gone fast.
    My car is down getting the brake controller and seven pin put in. They say they only put the number 10 wire in the big motor homes and wanted to use 12. They only had 7 feet of 10 and called me to ask if they could put in the 12. I said, No, get the 10 please. I gave him Cary's write up and made sure he knows I'm having back up lights. I told him, I really want to be one of the 10% who don't have to be rewired. He promised me that I will. We will see.

16. 1Door

1Door Novice

Where/When can we view some beautiful photos of YOUR MAHOGANY RAINDROP?? Fishing is boring!

17. dhutchin

dhutchin Novice

Ahem….fishing IS boring. He's not fishing. He's Tenkaraing. Nothing boring about that.

18. Ken & Peggy

Great pics! I like what you've done with this one:
    [​IMG]

Looks like a great area.

19. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Great shot of "The Guidon", great to see her out in the wild, last time I saw her she was still in the nest and then when we returned to pick up The Dew Drop Inn she had flown the coop, those wheels sure look sweet!

Michael