FOR SALE Ctek - Brand New, Never Mounted

Discussion in 'For Sale / Wanted' started by sarmay, Nov 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. sarmay

sarmay Junior Ranger

I have a brand new CTEK D250SA 5-step charger (still in box) that I purchased to install in our 2017 560 Ultra, but we decided it would take up too much room in the storage area where the battery is after we installed the AuTow brake controller, and it was too late to return it. Cary assures me that installation is very simple; we just decided it was one electrical box too many. I'm asking $300 plus shipping, which is what we paid for it.

2. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Does this replace the stock charger under the trailer and will it work with a lithium battery?

3. SethB

SethB Ranger

This is a 12v/12v charger that is designed to charge a lead-acid chemistry battery from a TV’s charging circuit and/or a solar panel. Very cool in that it maintains a proper charging profile while it selects the best source.

So, nothing to plug into the 110v outlet, and, not for lithium.

sarmay likes this.
  4. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

No it does not replace the stock charger, only operates when using 7 pin while towing or solar panel w/o solar controller. I have a ctek and it works great. I did have to bypass the solor controller on my 120w zamp.panel. It does not replace the stock battery charger your trailer came with...R

5. sarmay

sarmay Junior Ranger

It is something that Camp-Inn has started to offer as an option on new models, or for retrofit if you go to the factory in Necedah. It's a 5-day drive for us to get there, so not really an option for us. CI is not yet offering it as a kit, but Cary assured me that it is very simple. The only reason we decided not to use it is that after we installed the AuTow Brake Controller, we realized that we would be taking up a lot of space in the storage compartment where the battery is if we added a third electrical device there.

The CTEK ensures that your battery gets fully charged while towing (newer vehicles will prevent the battery from being 100% charged during tow). It's very useful if you are someone who prefers camping in locations where there are no electrical hookups.

6. Randy

Thanks guys. I am in search of a charger to replace the stock charger in the same location under the trailer that will work with a lithium battery that I will eventually buy. Sorry Sarmay for hijacking your thread!

Randy

7. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

how about this? or does this only work with AC input?

Progressive Dynamics Intelli-Power PD9160AL 12-Volt Lithium Ion Converter/Charger

8. SethB

SethB Ranger

That Progressive Dynamics PD9160AL looks like it was designed for RV or indoor use. It's a 60a charger... I guess one would need to get the battery manufacturer's recc to correctly size the charger, as they have several chargers of different capacities.

That one's about 3.6"h by 9 by 9 or so, and doesn't look waterproof. It looks like it has a fan. Maybe that means it needs a ventilated interior space?

Over in the CPAP power for boondocking thread, I detailed the newer tech AGM batt I found for a dedicated pony battery (2nd batt dedicated to cpap). Victron is *very* active in lithium systems for boats - you could spec an IP65 or 67 rated charger for unventilated spaces from their line...

Edited again - I don't have time at this moment to look at their chargers. There are some that are LiFePo compatible, and some that are 110v, and some that are waterproof.

You'd still need to size the charger capacity to the batt...

9. Randy

Thanks Seth. Your point about matching it to the battery is a good one and you have given me a place to start looking.

Randy

10. SethB

SethB Ranger

I’ve been looking, and so far can’t find a charger that is:
    LiFePO4 compatible
    6a +
    And
    IP65 or IP67 waterproof, for install in the place of the standard CI charger.

There do seem to be several choices that aren’t waterproof.

11. SethB

SethB Ranger

Ah, found one. Victron's line is a little difficult to navigate, because they're in Sweden and their newest stuff is usually 240v.

Their 15a Bluesmart charger BPC121531104R has a LiFePO4 mode. So far I'm very happy with my Victron charger and AGM battery, they make quality stuff. They also make lithium batteries... And, chargers of lesser capacities in that same line.

They are IP65 rated - I don't know if that's what's needed in the original charger mounting location. That's worth calling Cary at CampInn about.
    pkys.com and jamestowndistributors.com seem like good retailers if there isn't one local to you.

Here's a datasheet that includes info on sizing the charger to the battery:
    https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Smart-IP65-120-2018-web-EN.pdf

AlCat likes this.
  12. Randy

Way to go Seth! Thank you so much. As soon as my current AGM starts going south, I plan or upgrade to lithium. My desire is to keep the charger in its current location under the trailer so as not to take up any precious storage space and have to do a bunch of reworking. While I am waiting a I will be saving my looose charge and hoping that lithium battery prices fall a bit. :)

I will definitely be reaching out to Cary when the time comes to swap out the charger.

Gratefully,

Randy

13. Randy

Here is an explanation of IP ratings. The Bluetooth feature of this charger would be really helpful given the stock mounting location.

Ohttp://www.enclosurecompany.com/ip-ratings-explained.php

14. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Why did you have to bypass your Zamp controller? I ask because I just installed the CTEK and also have a Zamp 120w briefcase panel. The people at Zamp said it could be wired with the CTEK but they thought it would be redundant. I'm concerned about the fact that Zamp reverses the polarity of their SAE connectors. I haven't yet hooked up the panels to test the CTEK, and I may wait until I can be sure I'm not going to fry anything. It figures it's Saturday...

15. Ken & Peggy

Well, I hooked up the solar panel to the trailer and the Zamp controller gave the code b01 indicating there was no battery seen. I ended up rewiring things so the solar + is not connected to the CTEK, but instead to the positive battery terminal. Now the panel sees the battery of course, and is working beautifully as before.

Is there an advantage to bypassing the Zamp controller? If so, how would I do it?

16. SethB

SethB Ranger

What you want to avoid is both sources of charging going at once. Both = TV via CTEK 12v charger and Zamp controller. I’d be concerned that you could easily get into an overcharge by running both controllers when driving.

One of the features of the CTEK 12v charger is to take both solar and TV and choose between them while maintaining the best charging profile for your battery. And you’ve paid for CTEK’s best-in-class charging profile. Is the Zamp at least a 3-stage charger?

OTOH, if your Zamp setup is portable and not on the roof of your CI, so, not hooked up when driving, you wouldn’t run into the overcharging possibilities.

To bypass the Zamp controller might take a couple different approaches. If the connection from panel to controller is exposed you’ll break it right there, and send to the CTEK. If not exposed, you (or somebody) will have to start taking things apart...

17. Ken & Peggy

Seth, the Zamp is portable, so the issue of overcharging is not there (not using both at the same time). The Zamp also has a 5-stage charger, so I wouldn't be losing anything in that regard.
    Since I am not currently set up with a permanently mounted solar panel that could be used while towing, there's no benefit to running it through the CTEK, is there?
    Thanks Seth.

18. SethB

SethB Ranger

I think that’s right - the benefits of the solar controller in the CTEK 12v charger come when you have both power sources available, e.g. with solar AND your TV’s alternator at the same time.

Which reminds me - you should always unplug the trailer from the TV (and 110v!) before connecting the Zamp. Most of us do anyways, most of the time. Just thought I’d mention it. I’ve had TVs that cut off the charging circuit in the 7-way connector when turning off the ignition sw., and TVs that don’t, which is more common I think. There are relays one can install...

Usually the risk of not disconnecting from the TV is that you’ll draw down the TV’s starting battery and need a jump. I’m not exactly sure what happens when you hook up your Zamp to 2 batteries in parallel, probably the batt with lower potential draws from both the Zamp and the other batt.

19. Ken & Peggy

Always a good idea and worth repeating.