Cooler hing pin missing

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by Ken & Peggy, May 15, 2010.

1. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

I noticed that one of the hinge pins was missing when cleaning the cooler after our last trip. I went on Coleman's site and found the entire hing set for sale - both hinges for about $8. Since I didn't need the entire hinge - just the pin - I gave them a call. They sent the hinge set free. While installing the new hinge I noticed that there is a bit of adjustment that can be done, as the holes in the hinge plate that screws into the cooler body are slotted somewhat. So I set 30 pounds of weights on the cooler top as I snugged up the lower plate screws. It may be my imagination, but the seal seems a bit tighter now when closing and latching the cooler.

2. Steve & Ellen

Steve & Ellen Novice

I'll check that out. Thanks....Go Hawks

3. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

FYI: We ended up taking our cooler to REI, where we "exchanged" it for another one. The seal is much better on this one, but still not as tight as we would like. I think it is hit or miss, whether you get one that seals well. On the first cooler we had, the latch was so loose that if you tugged on the handle when it was locked, the latch would swing down and open. It's good to know that Ken has found another solution, if this one should become loose with use.