Cool New Solar Cool / Fridge

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by ssackett, Aug 14, 2019.

1. ssackett

ssackett Novice

Has anyone looked into the GoSun Chill solar cooler?

Look like it won't quite fit the galley space in the CampInn. A bit too deep to fit with the table. Full dimensions are 24 x 16 x 19.

But it looks interesting as a solar powered option. Not available until October 2019, so no real-life experience yet. But wondered if anyone else has noticed, and is adding it to their "Teardrop Dreaming" wish list like me!

GoSun Chill + SolarFlex 30 | Solar Cooler Bundle

2. Thanks for throwing this out there. As you said... interesting. But the GoSun site is very light on important specs such as interior volume of the cooler, how much current it draws, and whether it operates on a standard compressor, like a Dometic, or if it is Thermoelectric, like a Koolatron. Not to mention the type of insulation and design of the cooler itself.

Their bundled lithium power pack is only 144 wh. Without knowing how much the cooler draws its difficult to know how long that will power the cooler, at varying ambient temps. Although they do allude to the very ambiguous stat of:
    • "Stays cool for 14 hours (at 80°F)"... whatever that means.
    And whether the 30W flex panel has the capacity to run both the cooler and re-charge the power pack for when the sun goes down. (I would doubt it). Or whether the cooler can operate off other sources, such as the TD's 12V for when there is no sun and the lithium is dead. Or if they supply the cord.

Looks like a lot of tech, but it provides more questions than answers at this point. When they can't, or are afraid to provide the basics, in my experience, that's a sign they're just trying to sell a 'lifestyle' product with limited practicality in the real world. At nearly $1,200 for the cooler, battery and panel, that's a lot of lifestyle, IMHO.