PA State Park Colonel Denning State Park

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by Jim Carter, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Jim Carter

Jim Carter Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

This fairly small state park is near Newville, PA in the central part of the state a little north of the PA Turnpike (I-76). It is situated in the Tuscarora State Forest.

There is a small lake with swimming area and numerous hiking trails.

The restrooms are newly rebuilt and nicely maintained. That said, there are just a few sites near the restrooms, sites 46 and 48 through 52. With site 48 being designated "Handicap Accessible."

Sites 1 through 5 are along the creek and very picturesque. The park is very hilly so the walk to the restroom is not only a bit far for the middle of the night but also it is up hill to the restroom.

As noted above the campground is on a hillside but all the camp sites have flat parking for the camper with only slight grades.

One note I've been meaning to add. . .

All PA state parks seem to have a couple of dish washing sinks on the outside of their restrooms with at least warm water. I find this a marvelous feature so I do not have to use my water tanks (fresh and gray) and heat water for this chore. The dish sinks in this state park are bright, new stainless steel with a side shelf. I also think this is a great feature as it helps discourage the slinging of gray dish water on the ground, thus reducing critter attraction.

Maps of Colonel Denning State Park

L57 likes this.
  2. Vince G

Vince G Novice

Love Col Denning. You were very close to where we live. Great trails to overlooks

3. L57

L57 Novice

Close to where I live in Boiling Springs

Vince G likes this.