Coffee ground disposal

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by fpoole, Oct 25, 2013.

1. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

So just a quick question..

How do you dispose of the coffee grounds... typically I would pour into the fire pit or wipe out with a towel after pouring out the remaining liquid but didn't like doing that and didn't want to pour down the sink now that I'm using it.

So tossed around some ideas and came up with this one.
    Using the coffee basket fillers, they're cheap, put one in the drain and pour the remaining coffee, swirled with the grounds mixed in and just poured it into and down into the sink. Let it sit for a short time, voila', coffee grounds all wrapped up close and twist an toss in gargage...
    Idle mind is the devils tool or however that statement goes..

and it works... Kewl.

So just wondering how the other people do it...

Just a wandering mind that wants to know eh?? Now that's Friday,time to break out the "Beer Exchange" and "CARMEN" for the weekend is here... Dive buddy coming over for the weekend...

Hava good one..

2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

That sounds like it'll work.

I've always just dumped into the fire pit and wipe remaining with paper towel. Then swirled the rest out with water. I figure they're organic so won't harm anything.

3. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Frank,

KISS, throw in your garbage bag.

Or easier yet, stop drinking coffee. Nothing to dispose then.

Jean

4. Ken & Peggy

Bite your tongue, Jean - 'stop drinking coffee'!

5. fpoole

there's always about a quarter to half a cup of coffee and garbage, mine anyway, leak. paper towels work too, in the sink...

Never really drank coffee but for the weekends, used tea... tea bags are easier, but???? just not the same anymore.. It used to be that coffee grounds were good for plants, at least indoor ones, but probably changed by now and the world will end if you keep doing that...
    but thanks for the thought... heheh.. I guess I could just have beer in the moring and it would resolve the coffee ground delema...
    Happy Friday... sitting by the fire with a beer and watching the waves roll in and the sun setting... Stephen, should be a good one tonight... cheers...

6. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Last week co-worker and I were delivering volunteers sough flyers, walked into a VFW at 10 am, there sat a guy drinking a beer. We were shocked, 10 am!

So Frank, go right ahead, beer for breakfast, be sure to add tomato juice first.

7. michaelo

michaelo Novice

" I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer" (Door's song lyric") Great for a hang over cure, "a bit of the fur from the dog that bit you" and all that. Heh the French cafes open early and you invariably see a Frenchman enjoying a glass of beer or wine in the morning, who am I to judge, I mean they could be shift workers having one after work. I did film work in LA for years and many many times would finish shooting in the wee hours and could not pick up a 6 on the way home because LA county prohibited alcohol sales between 2am & 6am. You had to plan ahead when you were working late. I always thought laws like that discriminated against shift workers. So the odd beer in the morning, eh, who could it hurt.

Michael

8. 1Door

1Door Novice

Isn't that the whole concept of Jimmy's "it's 5 o'clock somewhere"??
    fpoole...could I recommend INSTANT coffee??? The "grounds" just melt in the cup and you dispose of them in your stomach.

We, on the other hand, as everyone knows....

9. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Frank, I pour out any left over coffee into the waste water pit, then dump my grounds into the garbage bag. I take the little filter part over to the water spigot and give it a rinse. The extra bits do go on the ground, but they compost well and I don't worry too much, then take things back to the wash and scrub them up. Or Mick brings the battery back up and we plug in the espresso machine with the single serve capsules, which we put in the bin (we recycle them at home through one of our kitchen stores). Just need to wash our mugs then. We (aka Mick) can not function without coffee. This is a big necessity for us.

10. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

dump it on the ground- its organic it is very good for soil

11. djkline

djkline Novice

depends on the soil, coffee grounds are acidic and not necessarily good for the plants. I'd stick to dumping in the firepit. They'll break down in there and add to the nutrients in the ash which is even better for the soil.

12. dhutchin

dhutchin Novice

Y'all might want to be careful where you dump your coffee detritus when you're in bear country. The smell of coffee is like catnip to a bear. They love to roll in it.
    I'd recommend dumping it at least 50 yards from where you're camped. On the other hand, you could dump them near Le Droppe. I know Frank has shown interest in cougars, maybe he could make do with a bear. Hibernation doesn't sound like a bad way to spend the winter...

13. fpoole

Heheh, funny, I couldn't "Bear" to be with a "Cougar"... especially in Winter... It might be a bit "Squirrely" and would try to out "Fox" them both... heheh...
    ok, ok, enough, I'll stop...

14. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

thanks for the tip re coffee and bears

next time, dump your grounds near someone else's campsite

:)

honestly, though, it would be good to get a refreshed on "camping in bear country" - it's been a while since I've done that, and I know there are best practices that we (AlCat) have not employed. If not for some recent work demands, we would have had a weeklong trip into bear country a few weeks back. Given how busy we've been, we probably wouldn't have done any research to refresh ourselves on camping in bear country, and likely would have had a few tales to tell....

-Al

15. Ken & Peggy

Or, perhaps, TAILS to tell...

16. Dahava

Dahava Novice

Proof!

[​IMG]

17. Ken & Peggy

Yeah, sure. Nice Halloween Costume Dan.

18. Dahava

Dahava Novice

;) Cubacino.

19. dhutchin

dhutchin Novice

He's big across the middle and he's wide across the rump.
    Runnin' 90 miles per hour, takin' 30 feet a jump.
    He ain't never been caught, he ain't never been treed.
    And some folks say he looks a lot like me.