Checklist before heading home

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Rick Jerry, May 2, 2014.

1. Rick  Jerry

Rick Jerry Newbie

I believe that I have read here somewhere about checklists for making sure you have everything secure and ready for the road home but I cannot seem to find one anywhere. I keep a small loose leaf notebook in the trailer in which I have made up sheets to keep notes on the Campgrounds and facilities, preferred sites for future visits etc. Items to add (Always something) and whatever else comes up. I am posting the list I have started after taking two trips so far and am hoping for suggestions on things I am missing.

Before Pulling Out
    1. Turn off gas and bleed at stove
    2. Stow cooler with drain plugged
    3. Turn off fan/AC and close cover
    4. Close windows
    5. Disconnect power
    6. Raise jacks
    7. Check site for misc items
    8. Hitch trailer and check ball connection
    9. Remove wheel chocks
    10. Connect safety chains
    11. Lock doors, galley, and storage boxes
    12. Plug in and test lights

I would really appreciate any advise from the experienced crew here who must have forgotten something else at some point.

2. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

I have a couple checklists; this is the main one. I also have a checklist of other items, mostly created from reading the manual or tips here that I keep in excel. That one is more for "how to winterize" types of things. Also keep in mind this is customized to what stuff I have and generally carry. There's a few things I do that aren't explicitly stated (maybe I should add them) but that either I read here or I learned at orientation or from the Owner's manual. For example, as you *think* you are all ready to go, you drive 10-20 feet... then get out--and double-check that you didn't leave something behind you, double-check that all your jacks are up, and grab the connection and really go as nutso as you can up and down to make sure it's really, really connected and locked on that ball.

I also have a "returning home" checklist, which I of course just keep @home. lol things like...plug it back in, empty and clean the fridge, drain/flush the tanks, check if you've got enough coffee beans for the next trip, that kind of thing. Maybe I'll clean that up and upload it (it's in excel) for people to grab, customize, and critique. I'm sure I'm missing things or don't fully explain things.

Departing Checklist

Gear Stowed Safely
    -Side Tent (if used)
    -Other Shelters (if used)
    -Carpets stowed
    -Chair/Stools stowed
    -Wheel Lock stowed (if used)
    -Wheel chocks stowed
    -Electric Cord
    -Check picnic table
    Cabin routine
    -Cabin lights turned off
    -Side tables cleared
    -Cabinets latched
    -Garbage emptied
    -Close Fan
    -Close Windows
    Galley Routine
    -Kitchen Light turned off
    -utensil drawer and cabinet latched
    -Water pump off
    -Leveling jacks all the way UP.
    Hitch Routine
    -Propane tank turned off.
    -Coupler lowered fully onto the hitch ball
    -Hitch lever down and locked
    -Hitch Lock attached
    -Safety chains crossed and hooked
    -Break-away cord attached.
    -Fold up the Hitch Jack
    -Parking brake released.
    Locks
    -Pass-through locked
    -Galley closed on both sides, locked
    -cabin doors closed both sides, locked
    Lights
    -Running lights
    -brakes
    -left turn signal
    -right turn signal
    Campsite Cleaned - check under vehicles

3. Rick  Jerry

Rick Jerry Newbie

Thanks for the list, there are definitely a few things I see I should add. I bought the trailer used and did not have the benefit of the orientation. I am a list maker myself and the older I get the more I need them (now where did I put that list) I also like the idea of different lists for storing, home etc.

4. dhutchin

dhutchin Novice

My little brother made the terrible mistake of making a list of what he wanted to do the next day and leaving it where his two older brothers could find it. The first thing on his to-do list was:

1. Wake up.

That was some 47 years ago. We still don't cut him any slack on that one.

5. Rick  Jerry

Rick Jerry Newbie

It definitley pays to be the older brother.

6. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

RickP, you had a couple items that I 'knew' to do but didn't explicitly have it on the checklist, I've added those... and uploaded (let's call it version 1) of a checklist:

550 Ultra Checklist Template - v1

It's specific to what I have, and for a 550. It may be different items depending upon what you may or may not have, for example, I do have the hand brake--you may not. You may have the furnace, I don't. So there may be items to add or remove. Some of those items are things from the manual, some are from orientation, some are (or should be *cough*) common sense but if you're only half awake when preparing to depart, a checklist is a good reminder--at least for me--to not forget the common sense steps.

Some things I still don't have in there, like "put the Dometic fridge in it's spot" or "store the tables in their spot"--because one would think that you wouldn't miss they are still attached to the outside before you drive away. But hey, if you need something like that as a line item--just add it. No one will judge. :)

I usually have a few paper copies of the first tab of that excel spreadsheet in the utensil drawer in the galley (and a pencil so I can check stuff off).

I think it would be great if people would review the attached, and add anything they like. Please critique any existing items as well--I may know what I mean by a line, but it may not be obvious to someone else.

LisaNKevin likes this.
  7. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

Rick I would add to that list

Stand back and take a moment to contemplate and never be rushed as the thing you miss will cause the most damage.

I have also got in the habit of every time I stop when towing the CI i put my hand on the wheel hub caps to test the potential heat from a worn bearing.

8. Pick

Pick Novice

We are three weeks away from picking our CI. We will probably spend one night in Necedah or nearby maybe one in Illinois. Anybody have a list for pick up essentials for short trip? I have collected virtually everything but know I don't need to bring it all. Seeing light at the end of the tunnel !
    MDP
    Mike & Denita

9. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

Mike and Denita: We pulled into Necedah on a Monday afternoon, scheduled to pick up the trailer on Tuesday. We had switched days with Tom Ruggles, so stopped by the Castle Rock campground to meet him. (We'd spend the next night there alongside Tom and George - what a great introduction to the Camp-Inn community!) As we were heading to Maine, then Alabama, then home to Seattle, we had PLENTY of gear in the car. But what we forgot - but picked up in Necedah at the ACE Hardware the next morning - were a heavy duty electrical cord and a converter so we could use the 30 amp power tower in the campground. Later on in Vermont, we weren't getting power to the trailer but a helpful fellow-camper pulled out his voltage tester and was able to assure us the problem was the campground's, not us. So now we have a voltage tester in our bag of tools.

10. dhutchin

dhutchin Novice

Be careful with the touch test on hot bearings. I burned myself once checking an old boat trailer I had.

That's why I have the wife check the teardrop wheels. ;-)

11. dhutchin

dhutchin Novice

What's this converter you speak of? Do I need to worry about amps when I plug in at campgrounds?

12. birder526

birder526 Novice

Good question AsheWolf - this inquiring mind wants to know too!

Best,
    Diane

13. Rick  Jerry

Rick Jerry Newbie

The converter is actually an electrical plug/short cord that allows plugging a 15 amp male cord into a 30amp receptacle. Check this description on amazon there are several different options.
    "RV Power Cord Adapter 30A Male to 15A Female 12" Long Dogbone Pigtail"

14. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

Camp inn also supply a plug to do thishttp://tinycamper.com/store5.htm#
    but is does not come with the extension cord so on some sites you have to have the electrical box open to use it.

We purchased one when we brought our CI but have never had to use it always had 15 amp available whenever we camped with power

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  15. dhutchin

dhutchin Novice

OK. So, this adapter is for campsites that ONLY have 30 amp (which I always called 220) service. I've never run into that yet. I guess if you're camping with the big rigs you might see that. I have ordered an adaptor for just in case.

Thanks for the info guys.

Yes Jenn. She will be up for sainthood someday. Although she dishes out twiced as much as she gets.

16. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

I've come across it several times, got one at the campsite host in Canada.. $7cn +/-... it's just the plug and then you plug in your normal extension...

I just carry it around in the Front storage along with the other adapters, LP etc...

17. jimtiffany

jimtiffany Novice

RickP, an important checklist item is to leave one of the windows unlocked when traveling with gear in the cabin. We learned at the CI orientation that if something in the cabin shifts and presses the interior door lock, you will not be able to open the door from the outside, even with the key. If it happens to both doors, you are locked out! Cary said it has happened. To avoid having to break a window, he recommended leaving one of the windows unlocked so you can slide it open from the outside. You'd then have to cut the screen to reach in and unlock the door, but CI can send you a replacement. I rank this as a "better safe than sorry" item.

18. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

Good tip

I had a similar issue with the front storage door everything shifted inside and I could not open the latch. fortunately I could open the other side and pull everything out that way to release the catch.

19. Rick  Jerry

Rick Jerry Newbie

Jim & Ani
    Thanks for the suggestion about the window. I had run across the notice about having loose gear locking the door intransit in either the forum or the manual and have tried to be careful when loading gear in the trailer but unlocking the window is a great idea. I will definetly add this to my list.

20. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Jim,

"You'd then have to cut the screen to reach in and unlock the door, but CI can send you a replacement."

If you do this, don't cut the screen. Just push it in. It will pop out of it's frame and can be re-installed later without having to be replaced.

Cary