Check Out This Sweet Shower/potty Side Tent

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Andrew Cushingham, Feb 5, 2023.

1. I’ve been on the lookout for a quick deploy side tent and shower/potty tent.

This is the coolest one I’ve seen yet. https://www.joolca.com/products/ensuite-mounted-double

Mounted on roof racks on drivers side would allow for covered ingress/egress from the camper with a connected side room for potty or shower.

If you want to get fancy, a Joolca propane heater could be setup for a hot shower.

What do you think?

dustinp likes this.
  2. SethB

SethB Ranger

From reading through the web page this looks like a really innovative product with lots of cool features for CI owners.

I don’t know who originated the flat/hollow metal bars suspending an awning or tent concept (Bunduawn?), but this is the first time I’ve seen it applied to an ensuite-sized side tent; I think it’s brilliant. Easy and fast setup, unzip and unfold, don’t stake, don’t guyline. I know the Bunduawn & similar set up the same way, but may need to be staked/guyed in windy conditions.

One of the challenges of getting a taut pitch on our ARB Awning Room is that the CI is a relatively short vehicle. Our awning needed another 8” above its standard mounting to roof racks to enable the room to be pitched. We’re glad to have that extended height, but the awning room is still a bit fiddly, and takes time to pitch, is a big heavy accessory that travels in it’s own duffel, etc.

The Joolca Double Ensuite seems to be all packaged in the roof bag, which is great, and to have adjustable height of the walls at the time of installation. No more fiddling around when camping, quick setup/takedown, always the right height.

Very clever gear being designed in Australia… Andrew, how are you liking the Bunduawn (that was you, right?)

3. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Looks pretty cool Andrew!
    I like the fast set up and take down,
    and the door facing aft- a good pairing with a NewBreeze over the galley end, or a ClamShell or similar with side opening facing forward-like a few here have done- also tucked up in tight over the gally.

Then you would be going from one enclosed space to another without having to circle around on a rainy or snowy day...
    Cozy way to get into the bear den

Vs the setup and take down time of a standard CI designed side tent,
    or on an ARB side tent or Bundawn walled addition that opens 90 degrees to the side from teardrop...

Hmmm.

For me personally, I'm NOT hanging stuff on the CI- as I have no roof bars on CI as of yet, as I want to make the most of solar and keep the teardrop "slick" for max mpg...my little tow vehicle is about maxed out as is...

But yeah, if this is built like a Bundawn, I'd definitely be tempted to get the roof bar option on purchase,
    just to have the add-on capability,
    for towing later with something bigger with 4x4... this is real boondocking/overlanding Aussie style rugged.

Biggest advantage is to be able to pack up and go in just a few minutes when the AZ monsoon haboob is moving in...
    What are haboobs? Amazing pics and videos | Earth | EarthSky

Or Santa Ana winds in the Mojave or Sonoran desert that can often blow up in the night, blasting out on the playa down canyon at 50mph...

...Just fold'er up and go back to bed...vs listen to the side tent shred itself all night...

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    dustinp likes this.
  4. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

Kevin and Van_and_Terri like this.
  5. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Ben, that makes sense to me.
    I'm generally lazy and throw one of those cheapo black bag solar showers on the roof to heat up then hang it from a tree branch...or if its too cold heat up a pot of water on stove and do a whores bath.

A free standing easy to pitch tent makes it even better, with your rig. And for Dear Wife, who is more modest than me!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    Ben, dustinp and Van_and_Terri like this.
  6. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

The arms look nice and beefy too....The ARB is a little lightweight....

Only thing I don't see is a floor --- our Dog lives in the side tent most nights, and she'd slip her nose under and be off on a grand adventure 30 minutes after lights out...

BUT for a privacy shelter this looks pretty snazzy...

7. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

Drew, (Playing with Sticks) makes some informative videos regarding teardrop camping.

Kevin likes this.
  8. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

I'm guessing some folk here may be familiar with these CampInn owners youtubes:

This is their ingenious hack on a Lightspeed tent:

Sweeney likes this.
  9. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Then there is the famous CI custom fit side tent:

dustinp likes this.
  10. rmbrowder

rmbrowder Junior Ranger

For 10 years I’ve been using the wrong stake holes, close to the trailer! However, I have “permanently” attached the side tent to the roof rack in a travel case that lets me just drop it down.

Attached Files:

Kevin and SethB like this.
  11. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Love it!