Changing Flat Tire/what Jack To Use?

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by Jerry Kemp, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

I don't have a flat tire on my Camp-Inn, its been well over 20 years, and I hope I never have another. I do however want to be prepared.

I was doing some clean up on my (new-to-me) 550 the other night, when I noticed stickers on my leveling jacks indicating that I should NOT use the leveling jacks, as a jack to use when changing a flat tire.

From their, I consulted both the printed owners manual that shipped with my 550, along with the latest/greatest version online in PDF format. Maybe its all so obvious to you that I'm just missing it, but the manual seems to be somewhat vague on this topic.

Searching the forum, I only came across this thread, which, although it has some helpful information really doesn't answer my question. But it was the closest relevant thread I found in my search:

Changing A Tire

With all that out of the way, I don't have another jack with my 550, besides the leveling jacks and the tongue jack. Should there be another jack? If I need to go purchase one, what should I buy? In an emergency situation, I'm sure I'd do just fine using the leveling jack in a pinch. For the long run, I want to do any tire replacement correctly.

Pointers and comments appreciated !

2. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Jerry,

Just use the leveling jacks built into the camper to change a tire. The sticker that the jack manufacturer puts on there is for when the jack is used at full rating and in no way is relevant the weight being applied by your camper.

One thing though. Don't use the camper with both wheels jacked off the ground by the leveling jacks, only one at a time. The side loads on the jack can hurt the jacks. Storage of the camper with both wheels jacked off the ground is OK because it is not in use and there should be no side loads on sitting in storage. If you do have to raise the entire back of the camper off the ground when using it place blocks under the tires and set it back down on the blocks.

Cary

Jimmyrus1, LisaNKevin, Randy and 2 others like this.
  3. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

Thank you Cary !