Changing A Tire

Discussion in 'Electrical & Mechanical Issues' started by Jim 2011, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Jim 2011

Jim 2011 Novice

Has anyone changed a tire on their "Drops"? We were on somewhat uneven ground yesterday and I was using the scissor jacks to level and stabilize. This required more than the usual "extension" on one side so I put some leveling blocks under the one side and leveled everything out. What worries me is the effort needed to really lift that trailer. I was thinking I might have to unload the galley (ice chest obviously) to lift it off the ground. There isn't much mechanical advantage provided by that little socket handle and I am still fairly strong. Wondering if it can be done or if I need to get a small hydraulic jack? Has anyone had to change a tire?
    Jim

2. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

If it is that difficult to operate the jacks, they may need to be lubricated. Apply a small amount of axle/general purpose grease with a popsicle stick (or something similar), to one side of the jack screw. Raise & lower the jack to distribute the grease. Wipe off any globs of grease.

If it is still difficult to raise, bring along a box end or socket wrench for doing the "heavy" lifting.

:cool:

3. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

In an effort to avoid another redundant post by me you could try the search bar. It should provide you with several solutions or just start here:

http://www.campinnforum.com/ubbthr...72&Words=leveling+jacks&Search=true#Post13733

http://www.campinnforum.com/ubbthr...&Words=stabilizer+jacks&Search=true#Post13977

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  4. Jim 2011

Jim 2011 Novice

Thanks, I did do a "search" (always try at least) but missed that thread. Hand drill it is. Thanks again,
    Jim

5. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

I would still try lubricating the jack screw. No matter what method you use to raise/lower the jacks, this is an important part of their maintenance.

:cool:

Jerry Kemp likes this.
  6. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

Good point. I'm doing a little PM and cleaning on our trailer today so I'll throw a little grease on the jack screws.

7. Jim 2011

Jim 2011 Novice

Betsy,
    I do keep the stabilizers lube'd, I just thought it got pretty tough to keep turning the scissor jacks with the provided "handle". Next to no leverage and a bit of a sloppy fit. Left my cordless home, now I have two. Thanks, Jim

8. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

just a suggestion..... my experience has been, grease will collect dust and grit. I carry a can of aerosol WD-40 for lubing the items that are subject to the elements, but still have to turn. IE the jacks.

Jerry Kemp likes this.
  9. I've been doing the same thing ( WD-40 ) .. I don't like the build of of " Grease / Dirt / Grit & Bugs ".

I spray on a coat before a trip, run the Jack it up & down, & haven't had any problems.

I've only used grease for the " Ball Hitch " ( Okay & Wheel Bearings ) , which gets sprayed on @ hook-ups, and wiped off, when unhooked at camp / home.

Spray on White Lithium Grease:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/CRC-White-Lithium-Grease-10-oz/16817414

L.M.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
    Jerry Kemp likes this.