Furnace Ceramic Heater Vs. Furnace

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by jimtiffany, Jul 28, 2013.

1. jimtiffany

jimtiffany Novice

We're making final decisions for options on a 560 Ultra. The last thing we really can't decide is whether or not to get the furnace. We will be camping without electrical hookup occasionally, and we'll undoubtedly encounter cold weather from time-to-time. The choice is between the furnace or getting a 12 volt ceramic heater. We've talked to people who have each and they all like their choice.

It sounds like either one would be used only briefly to warm up the cabin. I'm wondering if a ceramic heater would be too significant a draw on the battery if we are out for several days. We will be getting a 100w solar panel, but I'm not sure if that will be enough to compensate for short-term use of a ceramic heater. Of course, the cost difference is a consideration, but we don't want to compromise ourselves in cold weather. Here's one example of the heater we'd be considering:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/12v-direct-hookup-ceramic-heater-fan/56984

This heater requires a direct connection (hard wired) to the battery. It produces 300w. Has anyone done a fixed installation like that? The models that plug into a DC outlet seem to be designed to be used in a car to defrost the windshield and pre-heat the interior with 235w or so max output.

http://www.my12voltstore.com/12_Volt_Heaters_s/76.htm

If you have a ceramic heater, what model? Where is the best place to position it? If you plug it in, do you need an extension for the cord to reach?

Thanks,
    Jim & Ani

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  2. Jim49

Jim49 Novice

Hello from Jim H & Sue Z

Having almost five years in a 560 Ultra with over 25000 miles I would recommend against the option but unless you plan on camping a lot in the snow skip the furnace. Even when we were in Colorado (Estes Park) in late September in snow we had the windows open. There is a lot of body heat which you will want to let out of the raindrop. We only use a down comforter and it has been more than enough.

3. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

We have a 550 without a furnace. We've camped in mid-40's night temps in campgrounds without any electrical hookup and did not miss a heater. As JimH said above, we slept with the doors wide open and screens in place, using a down comforter. We do have a 110v ceramic heater that gets used occasionally to take a chill out of the air, but it only gets used for a couple minutes max. I'd think that a 12v ceramic wouldn't cause a problem for your battery if used the same way. I think it'd be a problem if you wanted to use it for an extended period of time, though.
    I guess it depends on whether you sleep 'hot' or 'cold' - and on how much cold weather camping you expect to do.

4. We've slept in mid 20's with a down comforter and were fine without furnace. We have small ceramic 110 heater like some others mentioned to warm the cabin up a little before bed and when we get up

5. jimtiffany

jimtiffany Novice

Jim, Sue, and Ken, thanks for the responses. That helps a lot. We like sleeping in a cool room with a down comforter, so we'll go without the furnace. My next question is about solar panels, but that's another topic and I need to read through the threads here before jumping in.

JimT

6. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

In the two years I have owned the tear, only one weekend do I wished for a furnace. Shivered for 30 minutes to warm the sheets.

In hind site, next time I will warm the dutch oven lid to warm the bed!

Jean

7. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

JimT,

It should be noted that most of the NW crew was out when you asked this question. Quite a few of us have the heater and are glad about it. If you plan to do cold weather camping you may want to consider it. On the other hand, if you mostly plan to camp in the SW, then you should be fine without it.

8. Ken & Peggy

Jim T, I just noticed you're from Santa Fe. The 40 degree night temps I mentioned were from the Black Canyon Campground just outside of town - you live in a beautiful place!

Here's a link to our pictures of New Mexico & Colorado .

9. jimtiffany

jimtiffany Novice

Hi Ken,

I'm glad you enjoyed the Santa Fe area. It looks like you saw some beautiful places. Let us kow if you ever come back!

Jim

10. Snudley

Snudley Novice

Opting out of the furnace seemed to work for me. When I picked up my camper in Necedah on April 2nd, I got a late start and ended up at a Minnesota rest stop for the night. It was 20 degrees outside, and my little ceramic heater was sufficient, along with a down comforter. I doubt there will be too many times I'll be on the road when it's much colder that that.

I would think that your 100w solar panel could keep you going for quite some time before the battery depletes, but I don't speak from experience. That and a few of the forum tricks such as putting a sheet of aluminum radiant barrier under the mattress or using a good old hot water bottle should make things cozy for you. Compared to all my years on a cold, hard tent floor, that sounds like heaven to me.

As a side note, I can't imagine not opting for the A/C.

11. jimtiffany

jimtiffany Novice

Thanks for all of the replies. Thinking this through has forced us to think hard about how we intend to use the 560. Turns out we plan to be in places without electrical hookups where the nighttime temps can be rather cold. We'll go with the furnace for convenience. Another issue is freezing of the water system. CI says you need to winterize anytime the temperature drops below a light frost. I'll look for a thread here that discusses options.

12. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

We have been happy with our furnace. No regrets. Living in the NW I wanted something I didn't have to plug in and produces heat just to help dry things out when needed. We have used it a few times. I knew I wouldn't need it always, but happy to know it is there. Everyone has a preference one way or the other. It is so great we have choices here!

13. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

For the small loss of storage space and the number of nights in the mountain in fall and winter with no other power source the furnace was a great purchase. -10C nice and toasty. Cycles perfectly. Doesn't need to run very long or often.

14. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Guess I have been lucky, as of yet no issues overnight with freezing temps and water in the tanks. If the daily temps are freezing, no way would I put water in the tanks.

Jean

15. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Is the heater small? 5 inches tall, 3 wide? 400 watt I think? Yeah, same one I have. I used it last spring with temperatures dipping into the 20's and found it comfortably warm. I think anything bigger would simple be too much...

The one downside is if you are boondocking...

16. Ken & Peggy

A hair dryer really would work in a pinch - but it too requires 110v.

17. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

I've had my heater/furnace for 5 yrs now, lowest temp has been 12F I believe.
    No problems with the heater at all. Did run low on propane so the fan comes on but the safety ignition wouldn't start the propane due to low propane or electric (but then the fan shouldn't be on? - so probably low propane?). Suspect the tank freezing will help insure no gas.. Heat pads and duct tape were to be the next step to keep it relatively warm.
    But no problems thus far...

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

fun...

18. Bechtle

Bechtle Novice

Hi....

I've had the furnace for 3 or 4 winters and no real problems other than running out propane. Here's a couple of things I've learned.

1) make sure propane valve is tight...particularly if bouncing along unimproved roads. Symptom is "fan works, no heat" Fix is tighten the brass connections.

2) open propane value very slowly particularly in low temperatures. I don't understand the physics, but opening the propane valve quickly can cause the propane regulator to freeze ....particularly in low temp winter camping. Fix.....just let propane system sit for 15 minutes and try again.

3) I've had zero luck with the propane level gauge. I did buy a "Grill Gauge" which looks like a fish scale. It measures the weight of a 20# propane tank. Works great regardless of ambient temperature. Tells one if the propane tank is half empty, or half full.

19. Travelguy

Travelguy Novice

Hi

Sorry have been offline for a while... too busy camping and hunting. Yes, the furnace has been a must for me. Have used it since 2006 and not had a problem other then you cant turn in on then turn on the propane .... for whatever reason the system will not start. As long as you turn on the gas the first thing you do whenever you get to where your going it works great !! Oh, they now have 20 gal propane tanks with built in gages.... Yaaaa !!! no more guessing or adding a gage to the tank. Its a float gage and very accurate !
    I camp it temps averaging 10 in the winter and have been in weather down to -10. I keep the furnace just switched on and takes the chill out of the air and keeps the inside about 66 to 68. Any more and its just too hot... for me that is. My only complaint is that when it was -10 I could feel the cold coming thru the door/ side walls. Oh how I wanted insulated windows and doors. I wonder if there is a thin insulating material that could be applied between the wood and the aluminum siding ? Will have to check with my maintenance guys at MEL Trailers.
    Electric is nice but in incremental weather with no sun you have no way to charge the battery except to hook it back to the car/ truck or buy a generator. I try to reserve my power for the lights and electric fridge. I do have the generator for camping in the woods and usually run it average 3 hours in the evening. Battery will last way longer if it is not dropped below 50 %. AMG battery the way to go too !!! Hope that helps !!!